Sued and lost...

Wow, Just saw this in the news.

Good reason not to provide estimates now?

](http://www.news1130.com/news/local/more.jsp?content=20091111_175237_11652)

Next time hire an InterNACHI inspector.

***I think it’s a GOOD reason to NEVER provide an estimate…***:shock:

Dale, you do a lot of commercial inspections. Do you offer estimates with your commercial property inspections?

No estimates provided on my part. I tell them many contractors are more than happy to provide a free estimate.

perhaps a mere slight of misinformation…
CAHPI-BC does not license home inspectors, any more than the NCP or ASTTBC does; they are licensed by application of qualified inspectors to BPCPA. Membership in CAHPI-BC does not equal an automatic granting of a license. The inspector must meet the criteria specified to get that license.

The inspector in question, was not licensed at the time of the inspection.

On the issue of estimates this is not the first or likely the last time that one was ordered by the court to pay for grossly underestimating costs of repairs. That in itself should provide a lesson for all, about the potential risk involved in exceeding the SOP.

If one reads further about the posts that go along with that - we should all learn there others that indicate why the inspection industry needs to clean up its act!

If anything, and on a side note this could be an interesting test case to see if this inspector will be disciplined and loose his license.

Moral of the story: Inspectors should stay away from repair estimates and consumers should stay away from non-InterNACHI members.

Again i will say… well put Nick!!

The judge found the buyers wouldn’t have purchased the home had they been made aware of the extensive rotting beams and other structural problems. Another inspector found water weeping from a wooden beam, along with several cases of fungus growing.

Looks more like a case of inspector negligence than cost estimating. The questions now becomes - how much did he miss? how much was not visible? how did he work his report?

Stay within your SOP. The SOP is your friend.

To read the whole story and the facts go to
http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlight.do?text=CAHPI&language=en&searchTitle=British%20Columbia&path=/en/bc/bcsc/doc/2009/2009bcsc1515/2009bcsc1515.html

I have read the whole report. According to the evidence as I understand it Mr. Toth’s testimony was contradictory, He met the CAHPI SOP but his inspection was incomplete, He lists RHI and B. Arch after his name, (B. Arch is the designation for architect in the UK, Au, and USA), He berated his client for showing up late for the inspection, He then rushed his client to sign his agreement, He rushed through his report presentation, He low balled his estimates for repairs. He used a tick and scratch type report, He ticked off that beam supports had subsided and that it was ongoing but failed to recommend consulting a structural engineer and a geotect engineer. He did not inspect one whole side of the building’s support and foundation, He under estimated the repairs required for the deck, etc.
The inspection was before licencing came into effect.
Mr. Toth was certified RHI by CAHPI and still is certified by CAHPI. Because of that certification he got his licence.
**Conclusion. Licencing did not screen out this individual and if ever an example for the effectiveness of how useful licencing is this is it. **

** BUMP**

BUMP

**By the Division of Professional Licensure in Massachusetts…

266 CMR 6.00: Standards of Practice

6.06: Prohibitions

Inspectors are prohibited (I repeat…prohibited) from:

(6) Determining the cost of repairs of any item noted in their Report and/or inspected by them and/or their firm.

Check box type reporting might have contributed to the result as well.

Cheers

Doug - agreed, and so can inspectors fall victim of computerized and/or any report that fail to meet the SOP.

Once again this happened before licensing…I noted earlier it should be interesting to see what CAHPI-BC will do to discipline in this member based on the outcome of this case.

The style of report that was utilized on this particular inspection (or any other inspection for that matter) has absolutely nothing to do with being sued for giving estimates on repairs. Estimates can be quoted by home inspectors (and litigated upon) on software style inspection reports also.

True
Are you are aware of any reporting software that does not meet the SOP? If so let us all know which ones.

Cheers

Dave:

I was just making an observation.

Cheers

What about this inspector being referred to his client by their real estate agent? Maybe he didn’t want this agent to lose his commission.Unfortunately, you know it happens.