BC ????????

Now lets see they Have in BC approximately 300 Licensed Home Inspectors .
inspectors will be required to carry insurance, undergo a criminal record check and pay a $100 fee. 300 @ $100;00 each = $30,000;00 .
Now I wonder who did the Math to think they can regulate and look after 300 Inspectors with $30,000;00 income .
I think they will need about $250,000;00 to regulate the home Inspection industry .
Looks like BC has shafted the taxpayer to help run this system
I will be interested to see how well it is run in a couple of years .

The BC licence at http://www.consumerprotectionbc.ca/images/content/licensing/home_inspectors/fees/home%20inspector_fee_schedule_31aug10_redline.pdf lists a fee of 150.00 as of Jan 1 2011.

So they get $45,000;00 . I do not think that will do much good in regulating the home Inspection industry.
I think a One person office and phone will cost about 3 times that.

Upgraded info .
CAHPI - 223
ASTT - 92
Cannachi - 33
43 outstanding who have not joined one of the three associations,.
Hmmmmmmmmm about 10% have not renewed .
I wonder why .
It would be interesting to see how much tax payers money is now being spent .
Lets see it cost about $2,300,000;00 to get this far .
I expect the other provinces are having a good look at the cost of this system .

Remember Whistler
http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4935
Bill has a big anouncement comming soon
http://www.nachi.org/forum/showpost.php?p=166560&postcount=103

[quote=“rcooke, post:4, topic:55948”]

Upgraded info .
CAHPI - 223
ASTT - 92
Cannachi - 33
43 outstanding who have not joined one of the three associations,.
That totals to 391…a couple of weeks back, I was told they had 392.

Hmmmmmmmmm about 10% have not renewed .
Where does that # come from?

I wonder why .
Maybe the RE market is not performing well.

It would be interesting to see how much tax payers money is now being spent .
Lets see it cost about $2,300,000;00 to get this far.
Do you think BC spent that much on getting the regulations in place or are you trying to twist the facts? Hope they’re not relying on your numbers…taxes would be astronomic!!
I expect the other provinces are having a good look at the cost of this system .

Remember Whistler
[

Your point is what… that taxpayers should not pay anything for a system that may protect them from poorly/untrained HI’s, electricians, mechanics, etc, etc, etc.

Should persons that are not formally/properly trained be allowed to call themselves “electricians” and sell their services?](“http://www.nachi.org/forum/showpost.php?p=166560&postcount=103”)

Big difference Many more electricians to help pay the cost .
\ We are talking about Home Inspectors
Electricians are doing work . Lets compare apples to apples not oranges

This is a prime example where Government did not do their home work .
It was not broke and did not need fixing .
Just a prime example where some self proclamed experts who have a vested interest in their future .
Crap from the get go ,no true facts given out .
Remember Whistler

And what is it that we do?…and should be allowed to do with any requirements except having a flashlight and a ladder…hell, some only carry a ladder to get in the attic, not on roofs!!

Brian how about some logic 348 Home Inspectors =$52,200;00 now what control or direction can that buy .
We do not have a home Inspection problem we have a self Proclaimed expert tell all the sky is falling well you and Chicken Little are wrong.
Little money no facts and no issues .
It ain’t Broke why are you helping these bullies who have no true facts who have a vested interest to control our industry .
Some have a short memory .

Remember Whistler

"Your point is what… that taxpayers should not pay anything for a system that may protect them from poorly/untrained HI’s, electricians, mechanics, etc, etc, etc."

PROOF PLEASE.

HOW MANY HOME INSPECTORS ARE THERE IN CANADA?
HOW MANY INSPECTIONS ARE COMPLETED / YEAR?
HOW MANY OF THOSE INSPECTIONS LEAD TO MINOR / MAJOR CLIENT COMPLAINT?

"Should persons that are not formally/properly trained be allowed to call themselves “electricians” and sell their services?"

Thank you for supporting the ALLIANCE of CANADIAN HOME INSPECTORS position on this subject.

Sadly, ‘formal education’ in the home inspection industry includes graduation from ‘inspector mills’ in which too many associations have a direct interest and benefit. That is why the ALLIANCE of CANADIAN HOME INSPECTORS has instituted it’s ‘grandfathering programme’. Only the ACHI will obtain a commitment from inspectors that other associations have rejected as incompetent to improve their training, education and in field qualifications. Only The ALLI NANCE of CANADIAN HOME INSPECTORS will require graduation from a recognized Community College level Home Inspection programme, with a period of mentored experience and an on-going programme of continuing education as the entry level after the grandfathering programme closes.

Unlike other associations, with the ACHI, it is all about setting the bar at a reasonable level and assisting member to achieve that goal. Unlike other associations who reject 90% of Canadian Inspectors as ‘incompetent’ and tells them they are not good enough to be Inspectors, the ACHI believes that every inspector is willing to make a commitment to improving themselves to achieve a reasonable level of qualification.

We believe that every Inspector wants to be associated with other inspectors who want to improve their industry and that every Inspector is tired of the old negative ways and that they want to be a part of an association that, rather than scaring the Canadian public with unsupported claims of incompetence, instead throws a positive light on all of us for a change.

It is time to repair the damage done to our industry over the last 20 years.

JOIN US AT;
http://www.theachi.org

Brian,

I only walk roofs I feel I can do so safely. I don’t go where my 10’ articulated ladder does not take me.

Am I a bad inspector for not walking roofs?

Are you a better inspector for walking roofs?

You could be a better inspector by working with what normally can be done safely with a 25-28’ ladder and not having to refer out to a contractor for inspection. That will p— off both the realtor and your client. How do you inspect flat or low slope roofs?

Early in my Thursday inspection, the realtor (new to me) made a comment to my client (a bank mortgage rep who later relayed it to me) that it appears that “this guy will not be referring items out to others for further inspection”. This something I very **rarely **do and only when a necessary replacement/upgrade/renovation is not within a standard setting or operation and for such questions as…“How much will it cost to put a shed dormer on this 1+1/2 storey house for more living area?”…Call a few contractors!!

I have never had a problem with the way I inspect roofs, nor have my clients since 1991.

Using BC Home Inspectors as an example amount 348 . (Jan 2012)
Ontario is 3~ times as large a population Amount~ 1044 and $150;00 dues = $156,000;00 , Now still not enough funds to hire a staff of one and open an office .
No government should even consider changing the system.
As you pointed out earlier we have courts to fix the bad inspectors .
I agree to simple as no one has produced any facts that we have in Ontario a Home Inspection industry problem.
Most of the unsubstantiated information comes from the self proclaimed experts who all have a vested interest in having control .
They have nothing but CRAP , NO TRUE FACTS, when questioned they evade evade evade then attack and call people a liar.
What a poor way for a potential leader to act , just like a little boy ,he gets upset and runs away and hides.
We do not need Chicken little telling us the sky is falling .

So 1 person persuaded BC to regulate HI’s. HTB…hard to believe!!!

How do you inspect the roofs you can’t get on, especially the low slope/flat roofs…got a little helicopter?

InterNACHI is the best Inspector owned Association in North America. Our dues are used to develop the best training programs in the business. No other association has the resources to help it’s members as much as InterNACHI does. For $289.00 per year I get so much I can not begin to calculate the benefits. And if things get too serious the open forum with Professor McNutty is always good for a few laughs.

Please tell Nick that INACHI is inspector owned. He erroneously thinks he owns it!!! :p:shock::roll:

LOL…you guys make it so easy at times!!

Brain you again have not done your home work .
Nick is for your information a home Inspector .
He of course does not go around blowing his horn Like Brian does .
Nick is the one who supplies you for free a place for you to show what kind of a person you are .

Thanks for your post Vern I agree NACHI does more for our industry then all other association combined .

InterNACHI is the best Inspector owned Association in North America. Our dues are used to develop the best training programs in the business. No other association has the resources to help it’s members as much as InterNACHI does. For $289.00 per year I get so much I can not begin the calculated the benefits. And if things get too serious the open forum with Professor McNutty is always good for a few laughs.

Brian it would be interesting to see you use your observational skills and look the other side of the argument for 1 moment.
Do not listen to others.
Listen to yourself and dig for validation.
Because you have a drivers license makes you a better driver.
Everything is in place already.
Its called the court system.
Other than that you should be one the ground fighting for that elusive minimum standard.:slight_smile:
Man you must be easy to Brian wash, oops brain wash.

Not at all, Robert. I worked in the WETT system with both national and provincial bodies to get WETT recognized as THE association for the wood heating industry…it took a while but national recognition (Not accreditation) was attained and supported by Fire Marshalls, insurance companies, etc. Now, for example, licensed masons without WETT training realize they should not be inspecting wood systems and have been entering the WETT system.

When I saw the NCH system, I immediately was in favour of it, had board conversations with Roy on it and how similar it was to the “Red Seal” program for trades! If it works for trades, can’t be all bad for HI’s!