SureTest VS Fluke 370s clamp meters

SureTest Circuit Analyzer: User’s manual
FlUke 370 series Clamp Meter: User’s manual

Looks to me like the SureTest will do a lot more of what inspectors need to do than the clamp meter, but the users manual for the clamp meter is kind of sparse. Anyone know something important that the clamp meter will do that the SureTest won’t?

Yes, the Suretest analyzer does not measure amperage.

Clamp around conductors.

The SureTest manual says it measures line impedance. Any reason it won’t also measure the impedance of the grounding electrode system?

Measuring impedence (resistance) on a non-energized conductor is done with the continuity function. The Suretest does not have this function, as it is only doing reverse math when analyzing voltage drop on an energized circuit. Not an expert, but that is how I have it thought out. These two instruments have different functions, and IMO, both are needed in your toolbox.

Seems like there ought to be a cheaper way to verify the amperage of the SECs. The Fluke is close to $300.

Yeah, well… that’s what I was trying to figure out.

There are many clamp-on meters that are less than $300.

The impedance testing of the grounding electrode system is quite a procedure and even more equipment is needed. Look up Mike Holt’s GES test for ground rod depth. The magic number is to get the reading below 25 ohms.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg6G5VUSsWA

Why are HI’s always looking for the cheap tool when they always trash clients looking for the cheapest inspector. I don’t understand this kind of thinking

Looking for a cheap tool? I didn’t ask about a cheap tool.
I don’t want to pay a lot of money for an instrument that has features I don’t need and won’t use. What’s the matter Charlie, you sat down for breakfast and the Cheerio box was empty? LOL

The load on the service is a variable. Using an amp meter is only a snapshot in time to what is being used at that moment. If the main is not tripping I seriously doubt there is an issue. You cannot use the amp meter to do a load calculation.

The NEC does not require the ground system to be less than 25 ohms. It says if the one rod cannot be proven to be less than 25 ohms it needs another electrode. If your resistance is 1000 ohms you drive another rod and you are done, even if it only drops to 995 ohms.

It seems to me you were looking for cheap besides I don’t eat cheerios I am a oatmeal person;-)

A clamp meter will tell you the load, at the moment, but not the capacity. There are less expensive clamp meters, even from Fluke if you are only doing residential. Go with a true RMS meter. You can even find them used on ebay.

I don’t see why an HI is worried about a variable load on the service when they are already looking at cable and breaker sizes. The load does not determine the service size.

As far as the grounding resistance there is no need to bother measuring it. Either the grounding is present or not. The NEC does not care about the resistance.

This is a little more than $300, but it has built-in IR.:cool:

Agree! Yep!

Good point. I only use them when doing thermography inspections.

I can see that to be able to look at the amount of heat related to load.

Kenton …

Well beyond what we do, but I’ve got several meters for different tasks (much is Expert Witness) … Fluke / Amprobe / UEI / Fieldpiece / Etc. All will do what you asked about … Some as low at $69

Go shopping.

Thanks guys, I have a much better understanding now.