Synthetic-Stone Veneer Moisture Problems

Originally Posted By: mkober
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Don’t know how many of you see fake-stone veneer in your parts of the country, but an article in the December '04 issue of The Journal of Light Construction (www.jlconline.com) was a real eye-opener for me. The article vividly describes how the stuff can trap moisture in the wall cavity, very much like EIFS, only with a propensity for sheathing/framing to turn into compost far quicker than with stucco. It stresses the importance of weep holes, correct flashing and double thicknesses of building paper. The stone is quite popular around here (especially on higher-end homes), although I’ve yet to have any on a home I’ve inspected. Looking at a few installations in the immediate neighborhood, I haven’t been able to see ANY weep holes of any kind, nor any significant upper kick-out flashing. Do I dare go knock on the front doors and suggest to the owners that their walls are probably rotting??

Michael J. Kober, P.E. and H.I.

"NACHI Member and Proud Of It!"

Originally Posted By: cradan

Could be lucrative. Of course, we’d then have to refer to you as the “ambulance chaser” of the H.I. field.

![icon_razz.gif](upload://rytL63tLPMQHkufGmMVcuHnsuWJ.gif)

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I read that also. It was a good article.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

better yet, copy the article, put your name on it and give it to owners of homes with the fake stone!

Not a bad idea, Kevin–but that would really put me in the “ambulance chaser” category, wouldn’t it?? However, maybe it is time to order the longer electrodes/pins for my Delmhorst!

I didn’t want you to get the wrong idea, Michael. While the tag “ambulance chaser” is pretty distasteful, some of those so-tagged (at least in the legal field) seem to be fairly successful, at least from a revenue and profit standpoint…

Chris

Christopher:

I don't necessarily equate money with success. There are hundreds, no thousands, of individuals (including lawyers) who are adept at earning fabulous incomes--but they are miserable failures as human beings. But every now and then, someone throws a curve and out pops a lawyer who's also a decent person! Wait a minute--am I drifting away from the original thread??

--

ROFLMARSEOFF…

No, money doesn't make the entire world go round. In any event, from a services marketing standpoint, it's an excellent idea. If local practice(s) are (or may be) creating some big dollar problems for homeowners, why shouldn't you help to discover, define, and disclose them? It's certainly not as if the practice would be completely out of our venue, considering many of the kinds of things we come-upon daily...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

--
Chris

The best compliment we can get is a referral from you

--