Tar dripping from under roof shingles

I personally don’t give a flippin’ crap who and/or what…nor Why!
Just please call it out and move on…OK?
The flippi’ roof it rainin’ tar…
What else could you really comment on…

Attitude much ?

3 Likes

100% ventilation. Ridge, soffit and thermostat controlled fans.

Ok then it has to be a shingle defect

1 Like

Did the OP lift a shingle to see the story?

1 Like

The shingles were all sticking as intended.

…with the tar dripping out like that? WOW!

1 Like

Couldn’t get one to lift. My thought is the the machine sprayed double the tar that was needed.

1 Like

Hand sealed shingles? Maybe the roof was installed in cold weather or high wind area…

2 Likes

Maybe an inferior shield over the sheathing or a product designed for a cooler marketplace. Anyone’s guess.

Makes sense

Sure looks like a tab seal bleed-out David.
Looks like it happened before for someone. It looks similar to what is shown here.
https://inspectapedia.com/roof/Asphalt_Shingle_Sealant_Bleed.php

I have never come across it myself, but sure looks like a Manufacturers defect to me on seal tab bleed out.
I am sure the installer will find out from the Manufacturer.

3 Likes

That helps Marcel. Thank you Sir.

You’re welcome and nice to see you are back at work. I thought you were retired for a minute there with all those vacation pics.:wink::smiley:

1 Like

Marcel,
I never stopped inspecting homes. I simply do not sign in to this awesome inspection forum as much as I should. I’ve always averaged 7-15 inspections a week. So between home inspections, prepping my kids for college and traveling the world 2-3 times a year, it leaves very little time for this forum.
If you’ve enjoyed my past vacation pics, then my November vacation pics will be the best by far. Hint: Polynesia

That should be a nice one. Glad you get to enjoy yourself with Family once in awhile. Always enjoy your photos.

1 Like

Thanks buddy. Stay healthy and may you and yours enjoy life as much as we do.

Hi David!
I’m with Larry. I think this is a bad batch of sealant adhesive.
The only exception I can think of is that the roofing contractor was hired to install the roof during cold weather and tried to ensure that it sealed by hand-sealing it with a product that softened and ran once it heated up.
Manufacturer’s rep.

1 Like

Thanks Kenton.

When do you plan on visiting me again?

I know this is an old thread, but I saw the same thing on this morning’s inspection. The one thing I noticed when I went into the attic was they had installed the LP radiant barrier decking. Just wondering if the radiant barrier added to the problem?