Techniques for report writing

Hi all,

I was writing my first mock inspection and was wondering how you all went about report writing. I ended up writing exterior first then each floor I would stop and add in my observations.

Ive seen a few listed ideas and wonder your experiences were. Here are a couple I’ve seen:

1. Cut it into two halves: do the entire exterior then write everything about that, then, do the entire interior and write about it all at the end

2. write/type as you go

Also, do you report each bedroom/room or are all rooms listed under a system, IE interior ?

Thanks

Curious…
Why are you posting in the Vendor section?
Are you a software vendor looking for information to develop your software?
All your posts are about report writing.
Why are you showing as a non-member?
Typically, I/we only share trade secrets with actual Internachi members.

Would misc be more appropriate?

Maybe I should save more technical questions for when I’m a member.

Currently completing a course in Ontario, Canada and it’s partnered with Internachi, so I’m currently going through all the course work for it and when I’m done I’m to contact Nick to sort out my membership.

Which course???

inspect4u is what i am taking

The two main approaches to report writing are System and Rooms. Most write reports by system. Structure, Exterior, Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC, Interior etcetera. Your initial post had a mix of the two where you started with a system (exterior) and then switched to rooms (or floors) when doing the interior. Use sample reports from Home Inspectors websites to find a format that appeals to you.

3 Likes