Please Review My First Mock Inspection!

Hello all,

I’m looking for some constructive criticism of my first mock inspection! I know there will be mistakes and errors, and I’m looking for some advise on how to improve my inspection and report writing skills.

A few notes: I haven’t bought any tools yet, so I’m missing things like ladders, circuit testers, binoculars, etc. Also, I haven’t taken the Report Writing class yet. I wanted to get a sort-of baseline solely on the basic InterNACHI schooling first.

Lastly, just to get the troll comments out of the way:

“See this is why people without construction backgrounds shouldn’t be inspectors!”

“You suck. Your children should be ashamed of you.”

“Is this a joke?? This the quality of inspectors coming out of InerNACHI???”

Damn millennials, you’re going to bring the entire industry down!”

5 Likes

Personally, I think I need to take more pictures.

I need to work on inspecting things using the SOP from memory, and relying less on the software to drive my process.

Also, I need to work on speed. This inspection took about 4 hours, and I didn’t do the roof, attic, basement, etc. I know I’ll get faster with experience.

Hi Saman,

Thanks for sticking your neck out and submitting this for all it view. I am also new to this profession and this organization. I am still in the process of getting my license in NJ. But here’s what I saw for what it’s worth. I have been looking at spectora software for my own use but think there needs to be more description of the different levels of concern or condition(if that makes sense). For example the drywall dent from the door knob, that is clearly just a cosmetic item and to me doesn’t fit in the maintenance or recommend category. Another one was the burn in the siding, I think you needed more information other than just saying it was a burn. Does it go all the way through as to be a concern for potential water access or is it just surface and cosmetic. Another item I didn’t understand was under heating you have Distribution Systems: Foil Tape, I’m not sure want you mean by that. I also agree with you that more pictures are always better if not for the report at least for your records. Those are the things I saw at first glance, I hope it helps.

1 Like

More pictures might be a good idea. Some of your items need better desciptions. The roof covering is probably not asphalt, the inspection method is observed from ground with binoculars. Simply ground doesn’t describe it. The entire inspection is visual so you don’t need to put that in the exterior section (some sections need you to describe the method of inspection, exterior is not one of them). “Slab” describes the type of foundation not the floor!

Tell them what you did! " I removed the panel cover to inspect the breakers and their wiring. I did not inspect low voltage items like doorbell wiring or cable tv." etc.

The best approach is for you to tailor your inspection as an outline. The main headings will each be a system as described in the SOP. The words in the SOP you need to pay particular attention to are inspect, describe and report. Descriptions can be a single defining attribute or more, but don’t waste alot of space describing systems that don’t have problems, they won’t read it and don’t care.

Defects are your primary concern!

If your state has licensing use their SOP.

3 Likes

Coverings: Material
Asphalt
A better description would be strip shingle

Dryer Vent
Metal (Flex)

That is not a metal vent, it is non-approved mylar foil.
Drives me crazy, see it in approx 8 of 10 homes.

Improper dryer transition vent installed is mylar foil tubing. It is a flexible ribbed shiny tubing that many home owners and contractors have installed and they wrongly assume that it is metal because it is shiny. Mylar foil tubing is not approved for use as a clothes dryer vent material and should not be used for this application

The International Residential Code (IRC) section M1502 requires that clothes dryer vents be constructed of at least 0.016 thick rigid metal, have smooth interior surfaces, and shall not have sheet metal screws extending into the duct.

Keep in mind, a home inspection is not a code compliance inspection and that the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) is the responsible party for determining/verifying code compliance. The home inspector is using these standards, however, as a reference to help protect his or her client from possible future hazards, such as a house fire

Nice job Saman!

3 Likes

Same here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gutters-Downspouts
DOWNSPOUTS DRAIN NEAR HOUSE.
*Note: No they discharge roof water more than the required distance.

Downspouts. Downspout extensions.
No adverse conditions observed the day of the inspection.

Distribution Systems: NG Forced Air Furnace.
Fuel pipe. Sealed.
No adverse conditions observed the day of the inspection.

Water Source. “Municipal/Public potable water supply.”

Electrical/Plumbing: Water Heater copper plumbing pipes.
Shark Bite connector. No bonding jumper. The equipment requires ground/bonding. Shark Bite fittings impede conduction.

You are getting it. Keep up the great work.

1 Like

Ignore them. You will be put to the test inspecting homes, don’t worry.

3 Likes

Saman, I would grade it in the “B+” range for a mock report. Not sure I really care for the report format, but that’s your choice. In the quick skim I did on the report, If it’s a multi-unit with separate meters, try your best to identify the one associated with that unit. If you can, use that same type of picture you have and arrow it for a visual for your clients. If you can’t, recommend it being marked for the unit especially if it has a main disconnect for the unit.

Don’t wast time on cosmetics unless they are caused by an underlying problem like stains from a leak.

No date on your major appliances. Your client would really like to see the approximate age of the systems.

Personally, I would not link articles from “Big Box” stores. More reputable info is available.

Time of doing the inspection and report is the least thing that you should be concerned about. Most inspectors that find themselves with clinched butt cheeks because of a screw up, are the ones that try to do them fast and crank them out. Not good for them or their clients.

Just a quick 2c on my end.

5 Likes

Consider room pics. I put them @ the end of the report.
Make sure the closet doors are open showing heavy storage. :wink:

2-25-21.pdf (342.9 KB)

1 Like

And another thing I just thought of. Most condos in my area are on heat pump systems. The last one I inspected was a unit in an eight condo building. 4 heat pumps on one side and the other four on the opposite side. Fortunately none that serviced my side of the building were running at the time. While trying to figure which unit serviced my condo (none were marked) I texted my wife(helper) to activate the heat and sure enough, it came on. I was able to to identify and picture the unit for the client. Every little bit helps.

1 Like

First of all, pretty damn good for your first run. I will try to keep it short and there is more to learn:

1. In my opinion, get your hands out of the photos. They are distracting. An occasional finger lifting or moving something is OK. Use arrows in your software report.
  2. HVAC. Keep it simple. Was it producing conditioned air? How old is it? What’s wrong with it? Is it near, at or past its expected useful life span. (10-20 years). Same for water heater (some say 8-12 others 10-15).
  3. Styles and materials needs some work. i.e. EIFS?, Synth stone?, double/single pane window, sliding doors, etc., Floor structure was likely not visible.

I think you will have to work on your template before you go live. Standards of practice in your template need to line up with your actual standards of practice and your inspection agreement.

That report writing software can really work to your advantage. But defects need to be clearly identified before any filler information.

One final thing for the whole group here, what is up with these DIY recommendations? I see them a lot now. I treat every home like a 100 yr old person is moving in. No DIY in my reports. Just curious what you all think.

2 Likes

@tglaze You didn’t try to race down the stairs just in time to see it fire for you? LOL

1 Like

Brain! Thank you very much!

That DIY suggestion was in Spectora… I forgot to remove it.

I really appreciate all of the comments on this thread! I will go through each section of my report and improve!

Thanks again everyone!

1 Like

Only you would know it was a second floor unit… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: And no, not when I have a “helper”…

Thank you Thomas! I apricate the helpful incite!

Thank you for the advice Robert!

Looking back, I let the software drive my process too much, and I relied on the default checkboxes and items more than relying on the SOP.

I can’t wait for lockdowns to be over, I would love to shadow an inspector to see what their processes are like so I can pick up some tips. I’ve watched a lot of inspection videos and they’re great, but it’s difficult to create my on process when the videos are only and hour or two long.

Good Day Saman,
I got the InterNACHI Narrative Library from Inspector Outlet ( Mr. Kenton Shepard), definitely worth it. The reason I liked the narrative library is that it helps guide you to use the correct phrasing.

Regards Nick

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion Nico, I’ve been considering buying the library too - I’ve heard good things about it.

I think want to develop these skills a little more first before I rely solely on the library. What do you think?

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like