Testing bathtub overflows

that makes good sence in reference to slab penatrations Brian, but what of tub drains and shower pans. they could be in no relation (water flow and gravity considerd) to said penatration. like if the penetration is in the north corner of the slab, and the tub is in the 3rd floor of the south side of the house. i just don’t see the relation to WDIs. or any “pest” realy…

http://www.sb.state.az.us/wir.htm

Termites Like Water
When I do termite inspections I disclaim “Traps and Drains” on the form and write No Access.

On the second page, section #19
http://www.sb.state.az.us/pdf/WDIIR.PDF

Brian. i understand what WDIs and WDIIRs are and all, but i’m still a little fuzzy on how a HI defers testing tubs and shower pans to a pest co. i mean, if we do find a leak, then yeah recomend a WDIIR to the client and explain why. but Russ’ post sounded as though he’s not allowed to test either ‘cuz it’s the pest guys job. i know we can’t see threw walls (though i’ve personaly found leaks that others have told me i must be able to see threw walls), and we give a “non invasive” inspection (were as the pest guys’ going to poke holes as large as a quarter for his treatment) but i still don’t get it 100%. good thing i live in N.H. and not Cali. i guess.(no offence Russ.)

If its all about moisture, do they check the roof and gutters, too?

I can’t speak for RR, Jay.

Are they plumbers? Makes no sense to me when I am a licensed pest inspector here in Ohio. Please explain.

Its not on my State WDI form…Im calling the Dept of Ag Monday…Yes they will laugh at me…so bee it:p

no, i know, but thanx for the insite.:wink: :cool:

Well, I was ignorant, too. But here’s how the pest control companies explain it. Water creates conditions conducive to the growth of wood-destroying pests and organisms, and it is the pest control company’s responsibility to look for those conditions and for evidence that something conducive not only is currently present but is active. So, theoretically, if they discover that the overflow drains or the shower pan leaks, then they have probable cause to believe that wood-destroying pests and organisms might be present, so they’ll mark it as a Section I item that requires fixing. After all, they don’t know how long it has been leaking, nor do they know when it last leaked (Do the current owners use that bathtub or shower? Do the current owners take baths with a full or overfull tub of water?). The process of the fix could involve removing the shower pan or bathtub.

After my experience with CREIA, I toughened up some relative to criticism of me and my inspection protocols, worked to improve them (an ongoing process), worked to increase my knowledge (an ongoing process, although I still don’t like reading code books–talk about dull, boring, and uninteresting–give me Stephen King or Dan Brown!), and paid special attention to the pest control companies that I hired. I found one pest control company that I really like and with a cool name, License-to-Kill. Their inspectors fill up the shower, fill up the bathtub, walk around in the shower and bathtub, push on shower and bathtub walls, etc. They are not afraid to cause damage because the law protects them for that damage, something that it doesn’t do real well for home inspectors here.

I test sink overflows but not bathtub and shower overflows.

Pest inspectors here do not test overflows or shower pans.

The termite guy won’t.

And that presents an interesting quandary for me here in San Diego. We commonly refer to them as the termite guy, but I discovered about a year ago that there is a significant difference between a termite company and a pest control company. The termite company is only looking for termites; they care not one iota about any other wood-destroying pests and organisms. We have one company here that I’m quite familiar with called (the name has been changed since this is outside the Members Only Area) ABC Termite Company. They are very, very inexpensive, far less expensive than their competition. And that’s because they are a termite company. That’s all they are looking for.

Most of the companies here are ABC Pest Control Services or something like that, but there are quite a few Termite Company’s here, too. And one has to really be careful about that industry and reading their professional services contracts.

While I don’t specifically ask about the termite/pest control report on the properties I inspect, if I find out that it is a Termite Company, I warn my Clients about what they do and don’t do and advise them to pay close attention to their “termite report” and compare it to our findings relating to wood-destroying pests and organisms.

Another interesting thing which relates to me here in San Diego is that very, very few of the Termite companies and Pest Control companies inspect fences. So we did an inspection a couple of years ago where the fence ran about three feet from the house on both sides. The whole fence around the property was actively infested with termites. I pointed it out to my Clients and told them that most termite/pest control companies don’t inspect fences so to pay particular attention to their t/pc report since there was evidence of WDI infestation in the house as well. If they tented the house but did nothing about the fences, the infestation would simply manifest itself again within possibly a couple of weeks, but certainly the next time the critters swarm.

I’ve helped many a Client understand their “Termite” reports and get appropriate adjustments from the sellers because some WDI thing showed up on my HI report that wasn’t on the “Termite” report.

Sorry about the delay.

Along with inspections yesterday, I took the afternoon off and went to see the panda and giraffe babies at the Zoo with 67 attorneys and their spouses, as well as going out to eat with them last night at our usual weekly supper. 51 attorneys went out to eat, the most we’ve ever had at supper. We had the whole bar area at On The Border and margaritas were flowing all around.

Most houses here are made from wood. Wood-destroying pests and organisms like wood, especially when it is wet.

Yes, they do.

Thanks for the enlightenment Russel.

Pest Control -vs- Termite Inspection
Have fences inspected as well durring a pest control inspection.

Very good info.

yeah Russ, thanx

I always hear about the pest co testing shower pans etc. But in over 1500 inspections, I have yet to see a pest co here test a shower pan or bathtub drain. It must not be standard practice everywhere. I however, do test shower pans but not overflow drains. If I can see it and it appears damaged, I will check it, but most tubs drains are not visible. I do always look at the sinks that have overflow drains for damage and check them if suspicious. Many sinks do not even have an overflow drain.

In my 4½ years, I’ve probably only seen the pest control company at the inspection a grand total of maybe 5 times.

Pest control here is done by the seller, so that is done very, very early in the process, most times even before listing the property.

If I fill the tub, I always set a timer on my phone to remind me to go check after 3 to 4 minutes.