The Consumer Pledge To Select A Home Inspector

People do you all see this character? a complete unprofessional, egotistical uneducated snake oil salesman.

I have tried Nathan, but you really are hopeless. Egotistical doesn’t even come close. You back your inspectors, actually those that signed another contract with you for the cost of the inspection or something like that. So do many others and for much longer than you have been at that, it’s nothing new. I have been guaranteeing my work from back in my Electrical days in the early 70’s and still do…nothing new there. that does not need any Multi million dollars garbage.

If you think buying your home inspectors clients personal Information so you can use it to sell those clients other products and services and also sub out that private information to others is an awesome business model then all the power to you. Mazel Tov to you yo are a mashugana…LOL

Jim

Geaorge, read above. Go ask Nick to verify that the ip could not be Jims. Nice try to all of you, but once again, all Biggs has stated is all true whether it is Nick himself, or anyone else.

I am really done on that subject as it ony adds to the diversion of Where are the Emails Nathan???

Jim

Yep, it takes a genius…

John Biggs posts were approved by Nick for publication

Guilty conscience?

I, and I am sure many other members, do not feel trashed by Mr. Biggs words what-so-ever. In fact, I am happy to read them. We need more consumers to take an active part in protecting “their largest investment” by becoming informed and demanding what they want in an inspector. I feel Mr. Biggs (whoever he or she may be) is dead on in his/her assessment of HI’s in general.

He or she presents a unique perspective that many should pay attention to, IMO.

Informed consumers are not a threat to honest, competent and ethical businessmen.

Exactly. That is the kind of feedback that major corporations spend massive amounts of money to learn. Having a consumer explain what it is they actually want, strike that, need from a business, is invaluable to their success and reputation with the consumer.

Mr. Thornberry wrote the following:

• A “guarantee” of what, exactly?
  • Who underwrites this?
  • Is it a formal program?
  • What is the guarantee of financial security associated with your statement?
  • Is it blather?
  • Are you stating as fact that no inspector who takes the CFP carries E&O?
  • Are you stating as fact that no inspector who takes the CFP guarantees the quality of their work product?
  • Do you know for a fact that any or every inspector who takes the CFP is no longer in the business of performing inspections?
  • Do you know for a fact that any or every inspector who takes the CFP has failed in business, or are you personally aware of any CFP participant’s business goals or business models?
  • Do you know for a fact that any or every inspector who participates in the CFP program does not offer to check for recalls on appliances?
  • Do you know for a fact that any or every inspector who participates in the CFP program does not offer some sort of home warranty?
  • Do you know for a fact that any or every inspector who participates in the CFP program is less educated, experienced, or qualified than any inspector who may participate on your InspectionCentral site?
  • Is the CFP database advertised as a place to find the most qualified inspectors? Is it promoted as such? Or is it a repository for affadavits of those who voluntarily choose to participate in the CFP program?

All interesting questions rendered from a single quote from Mr. Thornberry.

The CFP is an obvious bur under Nathan’s saddle. He has pontificated ad nauseum that CFP takers are somehow inferior to those who participate in his programs. He has stated that he will crush it. He has stated a lot of things.

As opposed to others businesses that may rely on similar data in their own business model. He has exhibited what can be characterized as anger and near hysteria. He has thought up an alternate “pledge” of sorts. He has done a lot of things in response to a concept he says is going nowhere.

If the purpose of the CFP is to raise awareness of emerging trends in our industry, I believe it will be a tremendous success. Based on a poll taken on this message board, the concept of client confidentiality is overwhelmingly being supported. While this is not a guarantee that those agreeing with the concept of the confidentiality will participate in the CFP program, as to heightened awareness, the CONCEPT has caught on.

It will be interesting how a certain vendor will “anti-market”. So afraid of a simple concept.

Wow.

When I read the title to this thread I became intrigued. When I read Mr. Biggs “Consumer Pledge” it gave me cause to think of things from a consumers point of view and I believe to do that is a good thing. What I was hoping to read was a short, well written, easy for anyone to understand pledge from the consumer that I could post on my website for my potential customers to see, and that I could support. In my opinion that is not what Mr. Biggs wrote, but I applaud his effort and if he wanted to write a shorter “Consumer Pledge” that anyone could understand, then I would be happy to once again view his words, and would consider posting that pledge on my website and honoring that pledge.
Sadly, this thread has turned into a push and shove match between two opposing forces and both sides end up looking like the people Mr. Biggs would not want to do business with.

Thanks for your time,

Jim

Who knows who “Mr. Biggs” is. Who cares. Much of what he writes has merit but I don’t agree with everything. Client expectations should be formed by the inspector not the other way around.

What is humorous to watch though is how if any inspector was faced with a client this involved they would be advised by most of the people in this thread to redirect them to their competition. It would not the orgy of encouragement displayed here.:slight_smile:

True words Cam…I agree !!

Jim

Mr. Anderson,

If a consumer has UNREALISTIC expectations then yes they should be managed by the service provider. For example in your business it would be UNREALISTIC of any consumer to expect that you can see through walls and tell them what problems are hidden behind them.

However, if a consumer has REALISTIC expectations that is not your job to attempt to change them. If a service provider is incapable of meeting realistic expectations then they should pass on the job. I’ll even take this one step further to state if the service provider has any business acumen at all they would admit there shortcoming to the consumer and help the consumer find a service provider that can meet the consumer’s REALISTIC expectations.

Please point out any UNREALISTIC expectation that was written in the consumer pledge written here?

I am not surprised to hear this statement made. What you are indicating here is that you would rather have sheep for your clients rather than a consumer who is involved in the purchase of their home! It sounds as if you feel that all consumers should yield to the wishes and desires of the service provider instead of the service provider performing a proper service to them? Please take note of the part of the consumer pledge where I stated as a consumer I would use this and any other message board to help determine what a Home Inspector is like. After reading this response, along with your other responses on this message board, I would certainly say I would not have wasted a call to you to discuss your services for my home inspection. That is the power of any persons words when they post on an open message board!

Mr. Wilson,

Thank you for your true constructive criticism of this consumer pledge and concept of this thread! It is unfortunate that others that have been posting here do not understand the meaning of “constructive criticism”.

The pledge was a compilation of many consumers’ views regarding how they would select a Home Inspector. It would be nice if this could be reduced in format to provide a shorter but just as meaningful pledge. The final pledge written here is actually much shorter than the working document created by all of the various inputs.

From your post I gather you are an educated person who can also understand that it is difficult to try fitting a closet full of clothes into one small suitcase (pardon the parallelism example for lack of a better one). Your WEB site has been reviewed by those participating in this pledge and all are in agreement you do not appear to be in the belief camp that many of the naysayers here belong. What has been suggested is that you write your own consumer pledge based on your feelings and by all means post this on your WEB site. It is expected that you would write a pledge that would be beneficial and truthful to the consumer.

Good luck in your business endeavors!

Please explain what you meant by the bold item above? What does that have to do with the subject at hand? I do not believe you are even old enough to understand the phrase you used and it was an offensive use of it!

Do you take offense at a consumer expressing their views? Do you feel threatened by a consumer expressing their views?

From your post immediately before this one.

I do have questions for you.

1. Was your question regarding financial resources rhetorical? I sense it was because your first post already stated how you felt about any answer I provide you.
  2. Please post your concrete evidence that any Home Inspector you are referring to has “ZERO financial resources”. Many Home Inspectors carry Errors & Omissions insurance for this reason. Are you sure that any Home Inspector you are referring to is not insured or is this another guesstimate of yours?
  3. How does having no financial resources equate to any service provider not being able to perform their job properly?

Do you feel that all consumers are “a total absolute frigging JOKE !”. You should be very careful what you state in an open message board. There are many consumers viewing these posts and this does not reflect very well on your opinion of consumers.

Mr. Jonas,

You are welcome to use any part of this pledge or the whole pledge. You are welcome to assign credit for it or take credit for it. This was a collaborative effort and the sentiments of many consumers. The purpose of posting this pledge was two fold. The first was to convey the consumers’ feelings regarding the hiring and use of Home Inspectors. Just as importantly this was an exercise for the consumers watching this to demonstrate how this pledge is very easily violated right here on this message board with the aspect of client respect. The results of posting this pledge were far overshadowed by the negativity of some here!

It is a shame that there appear to be many good Home Inspectors in this association that will be dragged down by those that have issues with properly treating and servicing the consumers. Guilt by association is an unfortunate aspect of consumers’ views when selecting service providers. I would strongly urge this association to purge itself of these problems or any benefits you members might feel you have, with regards to association image, will be lost forever!

Many of us feel the same way Mr. Biggs

Thanks you for your thoughts.