The service entrance raceway is in concrete!

Originally Posted By: bbadger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

jtedesco wrote:

I live in a 9 story building where the service conductors are installed busways run from the supply to the roof, and that wiring method is not "encased in concrete"

Are you sure it is not a feeder or is it just very old?

Or worse yet, maybe some money changed hands at inspection time.

Boston has had it's share of 'irregularities' in the inspection services department.

I have seen services on a Somerville roof but they where concrete encased on the way up through the building.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Bob:

The service entrance busway is located in a separate "electric closet" and rises up to the top floor, and in each closet the electric meter and main for each unit is installed, so it is not a feeder.

The building was built in 1981.

I agree on the "irregularities" and usually call that procedure "crossing the neutral"

![](upload://A94YGVJ0fMjzLSEkh3tM5vBAeD2.gif)

IYKWIM

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: bbadger

jtedesco wrote:
The service entrance busway is located in a separate "electric closet" and rises up to the top floor, and in each closet the electric meter and main for each unit is installed, so it is not a feeder.

Obviosly you are there and have seen the installation and I have not but there is no reason there could not be a main in the basement.

It is not unusal to have unmetered feeder(s) running through a building such as you describe.

IMHO if that busway is service conductors you have a very odd installation. ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

Not trying to give you a hard time at all, Bob

By the way, another nice graphic.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Bob:

My error, they are protected and can be considered as unmetered feeders.

Thanks for reminding me.

I have some pictures, but this thread has been discussed for the benefit of the HI people who may have learned something about the rules and how we can have different interpretations.

One thing though, is that when the question arises the answer to this one really does not give us a distance.

I appreciate your kind remarks concerning the graphics, I have more and will use them in other messages.

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm