Electrical Service

Originally Posted By: pmorgenstern
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi, I’m new to this forum but a member of NACHI. Today I inspected an older home that had been renovated and had several additions added on and 150 amp service that had been installed prior to the renovation and additions.

After the additions had been inspected by the building dept, a new stone fireplace was installed. In doing this, the mason covered the service wire from the meter to the main panel for about 6’. No conduit.

Is this a problem?? Somehow it doesn’t seem kosher to me. If it is not right, is it a code violation?? The inspection was conducted in New York.

Thanks for your help
Pete Morgenstern

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

was it covered and why?

Typically, the service entry cable, from meter to panel, goes directly into the home. Sometimes, it travels a bit on the outside (cometimes in conduit and sometimes not) before entering building.

So, tell us more...

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Hmmm… Illegal mortar coverings! icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers

Thanks for getting back to me.

The service is connected to the house at the corner then comes down to the meter. From there it travels along the apron approximately 20' then enters the basement to the main panel.

About 6' from the meter, a stone fireplace was added to the house which covered approximately 6' of the service wires . I found no evidence of a conduit or any other protection for the wires.

Peter Morgenstern

Hi again,

I'm back with some pictures of the disappearing service wire:
[img]http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/3Powell 024.jpg[/img][img]http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/2Powell 023.jpg[/img]

I hope they show enough for you to see what I saw. Is this kosher?? If not, any code reference?

Thanks again for your help.

Pete

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Peter,

You need to rename your pics. The space in between Powell & # must be deleted. All picture filenames must be spacefree.
Rename and repost so we can see the so-called disappearing service wire.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Peter,

To give some closing to your question. In the case where wire is buried it would have to be rated for burial. To my knowledge, SE cable is not rated for burial in any material.

On a more personal note, I don't believe it will hurt the wire or cause any unsafe conditions that I am aware of. My way of thinking is that now if that wire will need replaced, they will have to damage the mortar to dig it out.

Just given the fact SE cable is not rated for burial would be a code violation. It is not being used as the manufacturer intended and it is not rated for burial.

Would I call it? Doubt it, I would make it known to the buyers that when the cable needs replaced, it would require damaging the mortar to dig it out and replace it with a new one.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

To bury or not to bury that is the question icon_lol.gif

Not a good situation to bury service feeds unless they are rated for such. Nevertheless, these wires should have been sleeved in conduit to allow for easy removal and replacement and to prevent any type of "rub" situation. As that mortar moves from expansion and contraction, it will rub the outer jacket (insulation) of the se cable and eventually can cause the wire to be exposed inside of the mortar or out. It can also pull the wires from inside of the panel...outward causing a lot of sparks...hence the name "sparky". It would be my recommendation that it is inspected by a qualified sparky. If it was I, I would recommend that it be re-done.

--
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Dennis,

Maybe I can talk you into coming over and inspecting my electrical wizardry sometime. I gotta tell you I can be a real imaginative person when it comes to electrical. I can tell why you sparky's are so highly paid. I am all the time finding those bare electical wires all over my house. Now wonder they charged me so much! ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Did I ever tell you about the time the guy ripped all the ground wires out of his house and turned them into the recycle yard for cash?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

Joe icon_lol.gif

Good money in copper ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

I've seen bad electrical last forever and seen it last not so long....comes down to how lucky you are ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

I have physically welded with wires from a fpe panel, seen wire nuts burn before my eyes, seen entire meter bases blown from the side of houses, seen conduit glowing from bad wires inside, seen plugs melted in outlets, breaker meltdown, etc., etc.. Probably not much you can show me at your castle that would surprise me ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Us sparkies get paid the high dollar because at any given time during our job we can become toast or take a change in our hair style by curling it. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I get an electrical shock at least three times a year. It doesn’t faze me a bit. The effects of this massive electrical shock are fantastic. Everyone should try this.

Check it out...
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/0shock1.jpg

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Guys,

Thanks a lot for the feedback. It' great to have a forum like this not only to get the right answers, but also a little humor to help brighten the day.

I did report this situation and cautioned the buyer that it was a bad one that should be looked at by a qualified electrician.

Pete