Thermal Imaging License

I live in the state of Ohio and currently offer home inspections, tape mold tests, radon and WDO services. I’m thinking about adding thermal imaging as well. Does anyone know if you need a license or certification in the state of Ohio to provide thermal imaging, or just training? Also does anyone have any other suggestions of services that they have added that help their business? Thanks for the help
Austin

1 Like

Hi Austin, Ohio does require a state license to perform home inspections, WDI inspections, and Radon testing, but as far as I know there is no license requirement to perform TI.

I offer home inspections, WDI inspections, Radon testing, and Lateral Sewer Scope Inspections.

I would recommend that you start out with just home inspections and add ancillary services as you gain more experience.

5 Likes

Training is imperative…I don’t know about licensing, for thermal imaging, in OH.

5 Likes

Do some states have licensing for thermal imaging? Also did you need to get a license for the lateral sewer scope inspections, or just training for that one?

I highly recommend NOT doing any thermal imaging until you are well trained.as a Building Sciences thermographer and/or at least a Level I or Level II thermographer.

It’s from 2010 but may help you with your ?s:

5 Likes

I use a licensed plumber for all my lateral sewer scopes, but to answer your question, no, the state doesn’t require you to be licensed to perform lateral sewer scope inspections.

Yes, you need to be trained to know how to use your equipment and what to look for.

The probem with doing lateral sewer scopes yourself is you never know what you’re going to run into. You might have to cut off a clean-out to gain access, remove a toilet, or even scope it through a vent.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for all the help. When using the licensed plumber, how much do you charge for the inspection, and how much would you pay the plumber?

Hmmm…

What are you inspecting?

This?

Or, this?

6 Likes

That’s something you have to figure out on your own, just the same as how much you’re going to charge for home inspections, Radon tests, etc…

I would charge at least $200.00 to inspect that shack. :wink:

4 Likes

Makes perfect sense. I appreciate that help!

Plumbers in my area charge by the foot with a minimum of 100 ft.
Typical home in town on standard city lot runs $250 (Plumbers Fee).

1 Like

I used these guys for my level 1 thermal training. Virtual classroom over a few days, like a long zoom call. They were great. Small class of about 20, plenty of student participation and good instructors. I am looking forward to Level 2.

https://www.infraredtraining.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=americas.us.solutions.itc.e.aw.ffg.itc.search&campaignid=18410590694&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0tKiBhC6ARIsAAOXutk16mWRDeSscGWrFGszXK16nGYjAgab1zsRutuswseMWTmzACFXIU8aAtMyEALw_wcB

3 Likes

Our sewer scopes in Tucson are $100 per cleanout.

This past summer I contacted a plumber to scope an apartment building in a market about 150 miles from mine. That plumber quoted me $450 each for each cleanout, (minimum 2 cleanouts).
The 3-story apartment building had 4+ known cleanouts.
Client declined the scoping.

3 Likes

I would concentrate on getting your electrical panel license before anything else.

dont

9 Likes

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: You’re always cracking me up Jeff!

1 Like

I see that pricing from pro’s with good equipment, transponders etc. From the clean-out to the municipal connection up to 150-200’. With the right tools you can mark it, dig it, fix it. Saving $$ in the end.

2 Likes

Can’t blame them. Who wants to get their hands and equipment full of poop for cheap?

3 Likes

I fully understand, but every trade I ever contact in this general area (St. Cloud) is ‘double’ what even the Cities charges! Must be something in the water over there!!

2 Likes