Thermography a marketing gimmick?

Taking this back to a serious note…

I have a serious question for Charley ( a great HIPPIE!!) and other IR guys that I don’t know the answer to.

How much would a $2500 camera today, have costed an inspector 7 or 8 years ago?

How does the resolution of a $2500 camera today compare to a $25,000 camera 10 years ago?

$2200 camera cost $6500 about 8 years ago

Resolution would be about the same.

Thank you for the serious question I was getting exasperated with silly games from Fl.
I don’t mind telling you what I paid for my cameras started out in 2007 with a B-cam 120X120 resolution very poor in my opinion grainy images that looked terrible. I paid $5800.00 next camera was a BX 320 great little camera took nice images resolution was 320X240 I upgraded in about 2008 and paid about 12K kept that camera until about 2011 then purchased a T360 which I still use today and Paid roughly 16K

Dominic

My B-Cam cost me almost 7K in 2007. 120X120
My new T-420 cost 9500 with a wide angle lens. 320X240

Also, plenty of money to be made with IR, don’t let the naysayers tell you different. If they’re not using IR how could they know whats out there for work.

Within the last couple of weeks I’ve had calls to scan electrical panels and motors in a saw mill and from a company who dries firewood using kilns. Both were mandatory for their insurance company.

A few months ago we were paid 1K to scan 10 electrical panels in two apartment buildings for a HUD refinance. Of course this doesn’t include all the moisture intrusion and heat loss studies we do throughout the year.

Wow, so you guys are definitely still investing a ton into the cameras. I thought the numbers might have shown more of a down slop on the cost per pixel but of course you’re upgrading a lot too. What would a 120x120 cost today?

I have not kept up on their prices I have no interest in a 120X120 they do not meet my needs which are primarily electrical scans and flat roof scans

Costs are kept artificially high by the near monopoly on supply. That’s why FLIR can get away with selling the same chassis and core as three or four different models. They just progressively cripple it further for each downgraded model with software to meet different price points with virtually the same instrument. That kind of tactic would never survive in a competitive market.

I think we will see that landscape change as we see more new players come in with more capable smart coupled devices.

I took the Level 1 class and have a 320x240 camera and do not see thermal as a marketing tool, its a stand alone learned professional skill.

I don’t do much thermal but my minimum is $300 for scan and report on a residential property. I have been asked to do a few commercial jobs but I feel I need a little more experience, the minimum for commercial if I do it is $1000 and up.

On wrist cameras and free scans? Why water down something that is accepted as a specialty?

$1600 - $3000 … depending on the features.

Back in 2007 the cost was $5800 - 7000

I am impressed with some of the even lower end camera with built in moisture meters do.

For $700 or so they make one hell of a good moisture meter.

Bob, I use the camera and then get out my Protometer. Seems to work the best for me.

Roy my friend, that statement is simple not true, in fact is so far from the truth you would need a good IR camera to see it…LOL

I do a ton of mold testing nowadays and the ir cameras help in so many way I cant see how some of my competition are still in biz without using IR.

I also use it as a great tool on inspections, but it is rockin my mold world skills here.

About a month ago I had someone call me and ask me if I could help them figure out why they had no air (very little) blowing out of a air register. They told me another inspector and 1 HVAC company both told them the duct must have come apart and they needed to cut major holes all over to try and find the leak simply by guessing.

OK so I told him about IR and told him I couldn’t guarantee anything but I would give it a try at 200,00 bucks an hour with 1 hr minimum. This was a 1st for me for such a thing. OK so long story short, his house was warm so I cranked on the AC, and low and behold I could see and followed the duct work towards the register with little air, well about 5’ from the register their was a big blotch of blue which meant to me the air was leaking there. The guy took out a drywall saw cut about a 3’x3’ square, and BAMMM, they did a crappy job of taping and also used regular old duck tape, and the connection came loose enough that most of the air was leaking. I had some real foil tape in my truck, gave the guy some, he wrapped the duct, and …well I will admit I felt like a hero…LOL

200 bucks for about 45 mins which included 30 mins of talking about nonsense.

Bottom line there are so many different ways to use and make good loot with IR.

Jim

Awesome! I love my E8, just a great tool.

Nice.

Guys, that was just 1 example. IR can be a powerful tool and great money maker if you know how to use it as well as how to market it. I took John McKennas class a few years ago and that was the motivational jump start for me. I have continued my training and work on it everyday. I can tell you this that it has become a Huge part of my business as well as many others here.

Jim

Communication is the key. Thermal imaging will not sell itself.

Nice web site. Glad to hear your doing well after taking our infrared class.

Oh but it does I don’t think anyone on this MB including you, Chuck and Dave realize the full potential that IR has in a home inspection business when it comes to marketing IR

If no one knows you provide IR services, then they will not know they can buy it from you. “It does not sell itself”. You have to communicate.

But, if you feel you do not need sell your services, then keep on truckin brother.

I owned a hammer before I became a carpenter and it didn’t earn me any money. just saying… lol