Think about this question

Originally Posted By: cbottger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Think about this question before you decide on the answer.

Why during the inspection of the outside condensing unit for the A/C unit should an inspector pass his hand in front of the condenser fan with
the unit in operation? ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

--
Don't argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: lclark

The air should be warm all around the fan. If it is cooler on one side and warm on the other this could mean that the system is low on freon and needs recharged. It can also mean the system has a leak and needs looked at by an HVAC Tech.

Yes I do agree that the air being discharged from the condenser fan is normally warm as it is directly affected by the outside ambient. I do not try to determine freon levels by the temp of the air and was looking for a different reason for passing your hand in front of the fan. Would you care to try for another reason. Thanks

Don’t argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: lclark

I guess you’ll have to tell me. I can’t think of another reason.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

A low volume of air could indicate a significantly dirty coil, or improper fan speed setting.

Blaine you are getting close but no cigar.

What I specifically check for is the correct rotation of the fan blade as I have seen these units where the home owner changed out their own fan motor and did not know there was a correct rotation CW or CCW that is electrically reversible on most universal type motors unless they use OEM.

--
Don't argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I guess that was just too obvious to me. If it were sucking instead of blowing, rest assured I would write it up!! icon_biggrin.gif

Absolutely but sometimes the obvious is the hardest to see.

Don’t argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Charley,

You should start a HVAC thread that specifically asks HVAC questions for everyone to become more educated on in this field.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."