This can't be good

Bare copper SEC’s :shock: So close to the dead front, glad it did not make contact. I left the sucker sitting on the nearby trash can and figured I’d not push my luck. Do you all use electrician gloves when removing the dead front? I’m gonna start.

Did you measure how close it was as a mental note to what is done on occasion?

Very bad idea. What happens when someone comes along that has no clue about the hazard, and makes an attempt to re-install it??? Are you responsible? I suggest you find a way to rectify the problem before someone gets fatally injured!

This to me looks like it was manufactured this way .
I wonder is some other guard missing.
I think I would write this up as needing immediate examination/repair by a qualified Person .

You are correct Roy, this Square D model was manufactured like this.

As I mentioned in another thread, there are several panel manufacturers where early models had this type of hazard built into them. This is a prime example of the reason we should give all panel the same caution regardless of their brand name.

As I also mentioned, it’s more likely that you will make contact when reinstalling the cover rather than removing it. That’s why it’s a good idea to carry electrical tape with you. You can reduce the hazard by taping the edge that might contact the conductors so that you can replace the cover.

Leaving the cover off creates an unsafe condition. If you are not comfortable replacing the cover, you should hire someone (on the spot) to do it for you. NEVER should you leave a dead front off unless you lock the outer cover.

Lately, I use one of these more and more to get the front cover off safely.

Magnets.JPG

This should never be attempted. Inserting anything into an energized panel (especially a metal tape measure :roll:) can be hazardous. Measuring the proximity is not only foolish, it’s completely unnecessary.

Good points all. I certainly will make a mental note about the overall size and shape of the panel to ensure I don’t remove another one of these.

Thanks JJ - I hadn’t thought of that. Heading over there to get it re-installed asap.

OH I forgot how stupid some people can be Darin! I hope you didn’t take my advice.

Did you measure how close it was as a mental note to what is done on occasion?

Some times your advice is great and other times ???

My point was when you see this type of Panel again and you don’t need to stick anything in the panel to see how close it is to the cover.

Please explain what you mean, and why this would be necessary.

Jeff, if you can understand what KEVIN writes, please explain it to us mere mortals. :wink:

No comment to increase your intelligence.

No comment by you needed.

Your posts say it all.:frowning:

Good points all. I certainly will make a mental note about the overall size and shape of the panel to ensure I don’t remove another one of these.

I would still remove the cover if I found one …

I’m beginning to believe that English may not be your first language. The only time your posts can be understood, is when you copy and paste them from somewhere else.

I understood Darin’s post completely. I still don’t understand why you would suggest that something should be measured. Just more nonsense.

You can’t think like me and you never will!

I think most of us are rather grateful for that. :wink: