This could happen to you

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

see.

I got a call back Monday from a very upset client to "come back and see what you missed."

The first two pictures show the conditions after all of the personal belongings were removed including the water filtration system.

![](upload://e52w5gWnAwUwK0Nf8LbNiBhWO7z.jpeg)

![](upload://cUH9UVTptMLDzgh0Ai0KBwqROlR.jpeg)

I took out the 1/4 inch boards that were covering the base of the two cabinets and this is what I found

I told the client that I didn't feel as if this was my responsibility but offered to pay for repairs.

After further review of the report, she too felt it was not my responsibility but rather, the previous owner and the termite company.

I prepared an addendum to the report including pictures and went on my way.

To be continued? Hopefully not.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Jeff,

I don’t know how it works in your state, but this should have been on the disclosure paperwork somewhere. It would appear even to the most ignorant individual someone was covering up the damage. It should have been documented as existing by the listing agent (they sometimes aren’t told either). Had a similar experience only I found the hole in the particle board bottom. The hole was being covered up by a large plastic bowl, which just happen to have a trace of water in the bottom. The red flag popped up so I moved the fleet of cleaning supplies out of the way and removed the bowl. A hole about the size of a fist was worn through. The cause was a slight drip from a compression coupling on the drain. The owner was a widower and said he didn’t even know it was there. I believe him because there were other things he didn’t know about too. I do like your statement in the report. Sounds like it saved you a few bucks. By the way, you have the most “interesting” inspections. Just when I think I’ve seen it all, something new and unique shows up and proves me wrong. As a side bar…why is it that the folks with the most cleaning supplies usually have the dirtiest houses…I think I just answered my own question…

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Maybe I missed something, but why the termite reference? I didn’t see any termites???All I see is a rotted hole from an apparent leak at one time.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

kmcmahon wrote:
Maybe I missed something, but why the termite reference? I didn't see any termites????All I see is a rotted hole from an apparent leak at one time.

Termite companies (at least in CA) deal with all WDO's including dry rot (water damage). It's a standard reference whenever I see damage to wood caused by water or insects as only "qualified" personnel can make the determination as to the cause.

There's no doubt in my mind that this was concealed on purpose. The question is, did the home owner "forget" about it or try to hide it.

This is the question I raised to my client that helped her decide who she will pursue for corrections.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jsavino

Make a note to self; When inspecting cabinets under sink, check for removable panel.

Jeff, Thanks for the tip.

--
John Savino
HomeWorks Inspection Services, LLC
St. James, NY

icon_wink.gif

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Gotcha Jeff, thanks.

One note, regardless if it was hidden or forgotten, home seller has to disclose those items or be held responsible.(especially if it has their fingerprints all over it in a matter of speaking)

"I forgot" doesn't hold up in court.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

I agree Kevin, and that was what I stressed to the client. My offer to repair the damage was more of a PR move and worked well to diffuse the immediate situation so that she could see the truth.

She had placed calls to four other parties (seller and agent, her agent and termite co.) and not heard back from any of them. When I arrived, they still had not returned her call and she was rightfully upset.

By the time I left, I was the hero ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) We'll see how this plays out.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I don’t know if this will help any of you because of the particular reporting methods you use, but I have a statement that comes up automatically in my report when the house is occupied that talks of limited visibility under sinks, in closets, etc.

You should have never been called for this in the first place, Jeff!

I have the same standard disclaimer Blaine. It is repeated in the bathroom and kitchen sections of my report and states - “The view beneath the sink is restricted due to storage of occupants’ belongings.”

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

you definitely should not have received that call then, huh! icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted By: dedwards

I also have similar statement in my report system but recently I also added an open letter to the home buyer that I include in the front of the report package that reemphasizes those sticky issues from the contract agreement plus what you just said. There is only so much the inspector can do or see, especially in an occupied home or mountains of boxes and furniture getting ready to be moved. Jeff, you did exactly the right thing by going over there and defusing the issue concerning you. Too many people panic and won’t return the calls or get billigerant back at the customer. Think they will recommend you after that…but in this case you made the lady at least calm down and approach the problem logically and not through emotions. Good job man.

Originally Posted By: rwashington

It’s all about PR. Forget right or wrong. PR baby!! Good call.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com