Townhouse fire separation with PVC

Inspected a townhouse today that had the required GB firewall separation, however, there is a PVC vent pipe coming through the GB, I presume, from the neighboring unit. I didn’t find anything regarding the fire rating of PVC or where it would be allowed through a firewall. However, I didn’t find where it was explicitly forbidden. Common knowledge would tell me it’s not allowed since it’ll melt in less than the 1-hour separation time and thus compromises the firewall. But, I’m not all that familiar with fire separation and I don’t know if there may be something that would allow this type of setup. Any knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Schedule 40 pvc is allowed, more info at: http://www.adfire.com/media/1467/w-l-2486_021207.pdf

Hey Marcel, Thanks a bunch for the information. I really appreciate it. I can tell by the photo that the pvc to the right of the junction is SCH 40, however, the piece that’s coming through the firewall looks to be smaller. i’ll need to look at it again. I appreciate the knowledge. Thanks a bunch!

I would write it up. My opinion is the UL listing is not specific for a townhouse. We went over this at the TPREIA/NACHI convention last week in Texas.

2015 IRC: R302.2 Townhouses. Common walls separating townhouses shall be assigned a fire-resistance rating in accordance with Section R302.2, Item 1 or 2. The common wall shared by two
townhouses shall be constructed without plumbing or mechanical equipment, ducts or vents in the cavity of the common wall. The wall shall be rated for fire exposure from both sides and shall extend to and be tight against exterior walls and the underside of the roof sheathing. Electrical installations shall be in accordance with Chapters 34 through 43. Penetrations of the membrane of common walls for electrical outlet boxes shall be in accordance with Section R302.4.

Is that fire rated caulk?
It can be white but usually red. :cowboy_hat_face:

How does an inspector confirm once it’s already applied? Is there a texture to look for, or some other instant test?

There is no caulk in the picture, it’s a joint compound smeared all over the place in amateurish way. Regular, white, joint compound is acceptable on a fire separation assemblies.