Townhouse firewall

The townhouse attic on the right is above the one on the left and not directly connected would a fire wall still be required this one did not have one installed. In my opinion as long as the dry wall is fired rated where the two are directly connected would be all that should be required What say Yea

# 7 Stoneridge PC 4-15-11 001.jpg

# 7 Stoneridge PC 4-15-11 001.jpg

The fire wall must be 100% sealed between the two dwellings. If the fire migrates into the attic it is very hard to stop and the fire will spread into the adjacent unit. The Alberta building code was revised because a few years ago 38 dwelling units burned because the fire spread into the attic from one unit to the one next door.

I assume you are talking about the wall “above” the other (lower) unit?

Only required where they connect (attic to attic). Or attic to adjacent wall of the other unit.

Exterior is already fire rated because of the siding used.

Should be X rated drywall.
http://www.usg.com/sheetrock-firecode-core-gypsum-panels.html

Yes where I placed the red arrow the two attics do not make contact with each other I did not take a pic of the back side I should have but did not. Here is a pic of the attic side no dry wall

# 7 Stoneridge PC 4-15-11 002.jpg

# 7 Stoneridge PC 4-15-11 002.jpg

# 7 Stoneridge PC 4-15-11 104.jpg

Assuming this property does meet the townhome definition then yes, that upper attic wall should be a 1 hr separation wall. The 2003 IRC says:

Also see the diagram below which represents your situation.
TH Parapet Wall.JPG

TH Parapet Wall.JPG