TPR Valve termination unknown

I could not find where this TPR valve terminated…why they did this I’d like to know…lot of work for what benefit?

I couldn’t see the termination because it was under the front porch which was a deck built just above the ground…and I’m too fat to squeeze under it…my flashlight couldn’t see it either.

I don’t plan to write it up unless somebody convinces me otherwise…anybody? Main reason for posting is to see if anyone knows the reasoning behind running the TPR out of an unfinished crawl?

35Navajo 023.jpg

That TPR has to run to the floor from what I understand & terminate 6 to 12 inch. from the floor. Temp & pressure will only let the water run so far… Any water in that pipe could freeze and provent the TPR from working properly.

If not freezing, animals, dirt or something else could block the flow of water.

It is probably what the building inspector and plans called for.

In case the TPR did open, the crawlspace wouldn’t get flooded.

I got this from code check…

.Temperature & Pressure Relief
** Temperature-pressure relief required . . . . . . . . . . . .[2803.1] {506.2,608.3}
Drain ends outside <=6in. {6-24in.} from ground . . .[2803.6.1] {608.5}
win. min., no trap, no reduction, no thread on end [2803.6.1] {608.5}
Drain line may not run uphill . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .[2803.6.1] {608.5}
Watts 210 also req’s. pressure relief valve
F-m11, F-m12** [2803.1] {Ø, check local}

It is okay like this, but that sounds like a reasonable explanation as to why…I wonder why the T with a cap on it then? hmmmm…it isn’t holding up my report or nothing…I am just a curious fellow.

Tony:

The installation of the TPRV drain violates Code if the point of termination is not visible.

i agree…also violates common sense which is what I will write up…

If a TPR valve leaks and you cannot see it leak…did it in fact leak or not? :wink:

Tony,

Your state follows the UPC and the end should be visible. . .

**608.5. **Relief valves located inside a building shall be provided with a drain, not smaller than the relief valve outlet, of galvanized steel, hard drawn copper piping and fittings, CPVC, or listed relief valve drain tube with fittings which will not reduce the internal bore of the pipe or tubing (straight lengths as opposed to coils) and shall extend from the valve to the outside of the building with the end of the pipe not more than two (2) feet (610 mm) nor less than six (6) inches (152 mm) above the ground or the flood level of the area receiving the discharge and pointing downward. Such drains may terminate at other approved locations. No part of such drain pipe shall be trapped or subject to freezing. The terminal end of the drain pipe shall not be threaded.

Thanks wirelessjeff…:wink:

:smiley: Next appointment is at 4:30. I have a few minutes to spare. . .

:mrgreen: Tony. that “T” is a little odd on a TPR. looks like a “dirt leg”. i learned that in another thread and have been dying to use it.:mrgreen:

LMAO…after that crawl, my legs were dirt as well.

nice.:mrgreen:

From my Interactive Report System Version 2: