Trench footing????

Originally Posted By: mnm99
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Heres the deal. I have a friend that is a mason. He just did my foundation for my gararge. Well I found out the hard way That he doesn’t know jack about pouring walls. My problem, I have a 10x24 detached gararge. My plan called for a T footing. 8 inches wide x 30 inches deep with a base footing of 6 high x 16 wide. Well he poured a Trench footing 11-12 inches wide x 36 deep. With a 6 inch slab. Anyone know is this will pass inspection? The soil at the base is rocky and sandy. My planner said the gararge has a load of 600lb per SF. All the cement was 3500psi. I am confused. How can I figure load to width of base footing if this will be ok?

I live on Long Island New York, Suffolk County.

Thanks Anyone.............. ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

What is your concern? It sounds to me like he pured a bigger footing than is required.

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Originally Posted By: ftingle

I recommend getting a structural engineer involved if you haven’t done so already. They’re about the only one’s who would be able to answer your questions. Have construction plans been prepared for this project? If so, were they prepped by a struct eng?

Originally Posted By: Guest

I talked to my brother-in-law hes a structural engineer. He recommended having it inspected and see what happens. He said with such a small load it shouldn’t be a problem. I’m also on rocky sandy soil. He with help me out if I have a problem.

The plans were drawn up for this project. My friend decided not to go by them 100%. I really didn't know better AT THE TIME. If I knew it would be a problem I wouldn't have let him do it. So they are different from the plan, but only the T footing. I made sure he went 100% with everything else and took pictures of the slab before it was poured with the steel mesh, expantion joint and vapor barrier.

Originally Posted By: Guest

And no, the plans were by an archetect.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Sounds like the contractor changed the installation from a separate wall and spread footing, to a combination trench wall/footing. That may or may not be acceptable depending of the local requirements and soil conditions.

The local building official should have looked at the excavation prior to concrete placement, so ya should know if it's acceptable to them at that time. You should also contact the licensed professional who prepared/sealed the plans to determine if thats acceptable to them ... the contractor really should have done that anyway before making a change.

We would just be second guessing.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong