2x8 piers

Originally Posted By: srowe
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Let me know what you guys think.

There are 2 "2x8's" and a third has formed a "T" but appears only one is actually a support.

Due to limited space i coldn't get in any further than this to see the other side

![](upload://oU7LP9V1tUZmBpZbs6nz6qrL8il.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: Guest

Shawn,

In my area it wouldn't fly. Do you know what the spans were on the 2x8s?
Looks like one nail holding the support blocks....and bolts holding 2 beams appears too small.

Most piers are permanent or at least should be (not a concrete patio block). Hard to say if there's any fastening under the blocks to the concrete pad (my guess is no).

Again, that's just my take (if it were in my jurisdiction, I'd want an SEs eval.) Some areas are more lenient...

Let's see what the pros say.....

Sue C.

Originally Posted By: rbracklow

Shawn,

In this case the supports are wrongly installed and need to be repositioned perpendicular, and the amount equal to the width of the beam.

In addition, the supports need to sit atop of pressure treated wood plates.

One other item, if the soil is wet, be sure and suggest that they install a vapor barrier.

Hope that helps.

Ron.

--
The highest compliment my clients can give me, is the referral of their Friends, Family and Business Associates!

NorCal NACHI Chapter Founder and Chairman.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

That kinda looks like the nearest girder ply is not really fully bearing on the support. Overall, that “post” may not be such a big deal, but should be further evaluated since it wouldn’t comply with current practice (i.e. codes).

The thing that rubs me the wrong way is the post footing/pier. Is that just a cast square of concrete sitting on the soil ... ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ... now, I think that would be an issue if my eyes are not playing tricks on me.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong