Trusses, gluelams & paralams

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi to all,

i was doing some research on engineered wood products as we are seeing more and more of them and came upon this manufacturers web site, they have some great information and diagrams of truss systems and other products (especially in their online media kit) I just thought that I'd share it with anyone who is either really bored, or who want to know more.

http://www.trusjoist.com/EngSite/index.cfm

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Gerry,

Thanks for bringing that informative link to our attention. I personally am lacking knowledge in the use of the TJI joists but they are becoming more increasingly common.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Joe

"TJI joists " Get their information and study it. There are alot of things that the builders and inspectors do not know about these products.

One example. If you use these joist the blocking has to be either a 2X? cut 1/16th longer than the joist or a LSL.

Other than my trusses every stud (LSL), joist (Silent Floor), or header (LVL) in my home is a TrussJoist product.

The best bar none!!!

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Mike P.,

You are referring to, I think, "squash blocks". right?

They are installed at the ends of the truss joists, and where loads are transferred down through the truss joists, to keep the truss joist center from being "squashed" under load.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry

The wife said come eat. So I hurried.

Again you are correct. Blocking was the wrong term. (blocks--blocking--ground--grounding LOL).

One should note all of the requirements for these products.

IE when using a joist hanger. I am not going into specifics because I want everyone to read the specs.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Mike P.

Someone actually told me a while back that these type products were not supposed to be cut. While I can agree with that to some degree, the person that is doing the cutting should have some knowledge of their uses, you can certainly cut them. As a matter of fact, the big orange around here will cut them for you.

Joe Myers

Joe

Start here http://www.trusjoist.com/EngSite/literature/?SubCategoryID=72&CategoryID=2

I have not checked all the links so let me know if this does not help.

Great products but must be installed properly!!!

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: mbailey

Joe,

A manufactured floor truss can not be cut ? When I say manufactured floor truss I mean one that has been made specifically for your construction project, similar to a roof truss. These follow the same rules as a roof truss when it comes to modifications and alterations.

A TGI Joist, I-Joist, TrusJoist, (whatever the brand/regional term) is simply an engineered wood joist. They are made specifically to be used in place of traditional lumber for joists and rafters. They of course have their own rules for use and handling and installation requirements.
The brand name TrusJoist (which sort of implies truss) for TGI joist products tends to confuse the issue.

Hope this helps?

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

Originally Posted By: roconnor

", and the following are some of the better documents/links I have for these. I think the most important thing for I-Joists is that after they are trimmed to fit in length, the top/bottom flanges can not be cut, drilled, or notched … but the webs can be cut up pretty good (see page 15 on the general link). And builders always seem to forget the squash blocks, which are really important because exterior/bearing walls usually sit on these … the webs are usually particleboard, which doesn’t have a lot of bearing strength to begin with, and is like a wet napkin if exposed to moisture.

General: http://www.apawood.org/pdfs/managed/EWSZ725B.pdf
Squash Blocks: http://www.apawood.org/pdfs/managed/A755.pdf

Mark is correct that the typical open web joists must be ordered to length, and can not be trimmed in length to fit in the field. There is a newer product called a "TrimJoist" which is an open web joist with solid ends that can be trimmed in length to fit. But after installation, any open web joist should not be cut at all.

http://www.trimjoist.com/

Also, IRC R502.8 does not allow any cutting, drilling, or notching of an engineered wood product unless specifically permitted by the manufacturer. Enjoy!

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: dhartke

Great link Robert. Thanks for offering it.

I was amazed to learn the moisture tolerance level is 16%, considering regular wood will decay at only 20%.

Dave

Originally Posted By: rsummers

One thing to look for when Inspecting a home built with these is the notching of the top and bottom rail of the joist. If you follow the engineering charts in some spots you can cut a circle from ear to ear depending on the joist size and span. Never cut the bottom or top it voids the warranty on the joist. It would be hard to see the cuts on a finished house due to the insulation but I’ve seen it done on new homes and never get called by the city inspector. icon_rolleyes.gif Its usually the Plumber or the HVAC man that is guilty of this. How else do you get a 2" vent up a wall when the joist is running wright under it icon_question.gif

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

for those who interested in learning more about engineered wood products, please check out this link that i posted in the education forum a while ago.

Not only is it free training but we accept it for continuing education hours.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=1557

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"