Ungrounded outlet - GFCI vs. Surge protection extention cord

Originally Posted By: jcrandall
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Ungrounded outlet - GFCI vs. Surge protection extension cord

For either an ungrounded 3-pronged outlet or a two pronged outlet...If you need to utilize the outlet for grounded equipment (3-pronged) what are the differences between using a surge protection cord or turning the outlet into an ungrounded GFCI?

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Neither will give you an “Equipment Ground”.

They both serve different functions.

I would choose a GFCI and a surge protector.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

jcrandall wrote:
For either an ungrounded 3-pronged outlet or a two pronged outlet...If you need to utilize the outlet for grounded equipment (3-pronged)

There is no code compliant way to use grounded equipment from an outlet without a grounding means.

Quote:
250.114 Equipment Connected by Cord and Plug.
Under any of the conditions described in (1) through (4), exposed non?current-carrying metal parts of cord-and-plug-connected equipment likely to become energized shall be grounded.

Exception: Listed tools, listed appliances, and listed equipment covered in (2) through (4) shall not be required to be grounded where protected by a system of double insulation or its equivalent. Double insulated equipment shall be distinctively marked.

(3)In residential occupancies:

a.Refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioners

b.Clothes-washing, clothes-drying, dish-washing machines; kitchen waste disposers; information technology equipment; sump pumps and electrical aquarium equipment

c.Hand-held motor-operated tools, stationary and fixed motor-operated tools, light industrial motor-operated tools

d.Motor-operated appliances of the following types: hedge clippers, lawn mowers, snow blowers, and wet scrubbers

e.Portable handlamps

Information technology equipment includes home PCs and a ton of other equipment.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: bandrews

Homes were I live are not required to have wiring updated unless renovations are done that expose wall studs. If a house was built before 1965 and has 2 prong or ungrounded three prong outlets, how do you deal with it in your report. I tell the buyers that this met standards at the time of installation and it is not required to be updated. I then tell them that, as one expects, it is not as safe as newer methods. The only recommendation i make is to install GFCI’s at outlets near water and on the exterior.

Originally Posted By: jcrandall

I simply make a recommendation in non-wet areas to have ungrounded 3-pronged outlets changed to a 2-pronged outlet, properly ground the outlet, or install a GFCI.

The question comes up from time to time - could I simply us a surge protection extension cord?