Up pops a bill in Florida

Zoe, it’s all conjecture at this time, but I believe that equivalent education from the previously approved schools would apply.

Regards

Gerry

Looks like my 90 hours of instruction at ITA, 30 plus hours of Continuing Education at the NACHI Conference and 25 years of construction experience should get me through.

Forgive me if wrong but, I thought Bush’ problem with the bill last year was the lack of teeth…

I am sure that given the way things are written some changes will be made on the fly. If it passes the way it is written now it looks like the only people doing home inspections after 7-1-2006 will be those that are exempt.

Greg

Help me out here - Am I wrong on my understanding that the exempt people are only exempt when the are doing the job of their profession. When they do a home inspection for a client as a home inspection they are no longer exempt.

rlb

Hey Richard,
That may very well be the case. If so then who is going to be licensed to perform home inspections after its enactment?

How did this get started? When HB135 came up months ago it was tabled at that time as it was identical to HB315 the previous year. Gov. vetoed and will do the same this year as the only differences from last year is the class hr. req. went from 60 to 80 and it was separated from the mold bill/att. This bill has no teeth or directives as to which class, who approves the test and what the test is to contain etc.
Forgot to add; the insurance minimum went from 100k to 300k for gen. lia.

There is NO LICENSE. Right now the only way anyone is going to find out if you do not have any of the requirements in place is if you get taken to court. There is no identified agency or body to show your qualifications to.

Contact your State Rep’s and Senator’s

Thanks Doug

I forget that sometimes.

Thanks for the info Gary.

Doug, personaly I believe that a regulatory bill does nothing for no one other than to start yet more partisan pi$$ing competitions as we have allready seen in states like PA.

IHMO, if the state of Florida can justify regulating our profession to the proven benefit of consumers then it should be done with a none association specific licensing bill.

Personally I believe a regulatory act would do a lot more harm than good.

BTW. I am told that this bill was promoted independently by a lobbyist, is that even legal? looks to me like a job creation scheme for someone.

Regards

Gerry

Ditto. Right to the point

I don’t know Greg

Maybe you pay me $1.00 and I will teach you and give you an exam then you teach and exam me for $1.00

As I see it anyone can start a school. No where is it stated that the school has to be in Florida or approved by anyone.

The school house could be the local pub

All kiding aside. This bill is all based on the honor system so what an HI thinks as qualifing schooling and testing looks like a mater of personal opinion

–This is one of the areas that I see as getting changed and an area where they can make a real mess ----

What I would like to see is that NACHI classes (on line or other wise) and NACHI testing – all free or very low cost and will qualify for the Florida education and CE requirments – Right now since it is on the honor system it looks like it will

So lets step up to the plate and get it done Greg you would make a GREAT instructor – Sure better the doing attics in Florida in the summer. You are probably are one of the best code people we have got (except for J- Hooper)

rlb

Gerry,
concur with that assessment. This bill does little if anything to protect the consumer or the HI. We are all (clients and HI) better off w/o it. I will refer to Joe B. analogy of peeing in a dark suit. It fits here as well. Makes one “feel” all warm but no one notices or cares.

I went back and checked. I have 36 hours of construction education from St Petersburg College, 24 hours at Auburn University and 12 hours at St Leo University. Then 90 CEU hours at ITA, 30 CEU at NACHI and about 45 hours at various providers of CEU’s as well. 25 years of construction experience, including single and multiple family homes, commercial projects including overhead cranes. I walked 8" I beams 100 feet off the floor. Man I should be General Contractor ! No wait …I remember now…I lost 10 years of my life from 1989-1991 dealing with Disney each and every day. I ought to get a free pass just for surviving Disney.

We will need pics of you and the mouse.

Hi Gerry,

Just got back from FABI’s Spring Seminar and they were wondering too who introduced this bill. For the record FABI and whatever is left of the coalition will not support this bill or any other bill under 501 that lacks enforcement. Their stand toward licensing remains strong, but in regards to SB 2670 and bills like it, FABI will not support any legislature that is unenforceable. This bill was most likely the result a FAR or FAHB lobbyist. Real licensing as far as FABI is concerned would fall under 486 and/or 489 and be regulated by DBPR.

We were told that there are many outsiders who would like to control our profession (Homebuilders and Realtors) and have huge lobbying capabilities compared to us home inspectors. For instance, the pool industry does not want us to be able to inspect pools and is seeking to have legislation introduced that would only allow licensed pool contractors the right to inspect pools. FABI and the coalition will fight that legislation if it it is ever introduced because if that were to happen then the plumbers, electricians, HVAC contractors, et al would follow suit and we would soon be pushed out of our profession.

Since it appears that NACHI is not in favor of endorsing this bill it might be a good time to once again visit the idea of NACHI working together within the larger profession. The idea here of course would be to develop a workable bill that most of us can endorse and be ready for the next session.

Hi Joe:

Thanks for the info. I sent email out to the membership and the biggest sticky point is of course no grandfathering and 80 hr requirement (where do I get it from or I did it already will it count)

Gary,

Have you ever done work with the mouse ? Living in Orlando you probably don’t care much for Mickie.
Stop by the Caribbean Beach Resort sometime. Those are my roofs !
1.5 million square feet of metal roofing.

Hi to all,

Joe, I would have to express surprise at FABI not supporting this bill as it is practically what they spent a fortune on lobbying for last year. what changed?

Jay, I would have to point out the same as I said last year that this bill is generaly not a bad one for many in our membership. Compare this proposal with the realities in all other states that have adopted licensing.
Sure the bill would have to include grandparenting (in this right to work state) but at what level? And as Richard keeps pointing out I do have much to gain from supporting any bill that includes an educational and testing requirement. As they all do in the real world.

Personaly I very much doubt I would have any difficulty in meeting any licensing requirement in the future in this state. But how many of our 1250ish members could agree with that statement.

Be careful what you wish for.

Regards

Gerry

Well, I don’t think what HB 315 evolved into was ever really popular with the FABI membership, but even after the regulatory language was expunged there was still enough momentum from the membership to give it that appearance. Given a year later and it is apparent that HB 315 falls short in advancing our profession or protecting the public.

The question of common sense is always what is it good for? - a question which would abolish the rose and be answered triumphantly by the cabbage.