Utilities

Originally Posted By: pdacey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I had an agent call me the other day to book an inspection for today. The property is a townhouse that has been vacant for some time (don’t know exactly how long). The agent told me the utilities were not turned on and would I contact the companies to have them activated for the inspection. I told him I didn’t think they would turn them on for me just to do an inspection and to have the buyer call because they would want his information anyway. So the buyer called, the utilities were turned on yesterday. The agent just called to tell me that apparently someone winterized the house (why in south Texas I don’t know) and left most of the faucets open. When the water was turned on the house flooded out. So the inspection was cancelled.

WHEW! Glad I didn't give the go ahead to have the water turned on.

Is it unusual for the agent to have asked me to handle the utilities? I haven't been inspecting too long but it seemed a little odd.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jpope

Yes, very unusual. We don’t turn “things” on just for those reasons. If the main breaker in a panel is off, we don’t turn it on. Certainly if the utilities are off, we don’t turn them on.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: psabados

Hey Patrick

We get a lot of winterized dwellings here in KS. Most of the time, about 95%, the listing agent would be the one to set up the utilities to be turned on. They also in turn should notify the company that did the winterization, that an inspection needs to be performed and to make sure they get the systems up in time. The companies that do these winterizing may take up to three days to get everything done though.

Every now and then, something gets missed and is not functioning. I just go as far as I can, recommend setting another appt. for completion and advise what additional charge will be.

Sounds like you had either a newbie agent or one that never had a house winterized before. I recommend in the future that you verify that all utilities are on, which I'm sure you already do. Most likely every valve in the house was opened including the water heater. Water water every where

Paul

Originally Posted By: mjones1

Watch yourself, Someone is going to have to pay for the damages. The buyer will say you told him to have the utilities turned on and the agent will back them up then your f****d.

But to answer your question I don’t think that is very common at least I’ve never been asked.

Good luck! ![eusa_pray.gif](upload://666dNZBTjxv415U6VjmA9ZydFQN.gif)

Mike

Originally Posted By: pdacey

I did ask if the utilities were on. The agent said no and asked me straight away if I would handle it and that’s when I suggested the buyer handle it.

I never told him that they had to be on for the inspection. The conversation never got that far.

I have a feeling that the agent may have called the utility companies.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rray

We used to winterize our homes in Kingsville, Texas. When them Northers come through, they can do damage. I suffered through some -28?F days down there, and that’s a couple of hundred miles father south than San Antonio.

I've been asked a few of times, particularly by the Help-U-Sell and Help-U-Buy agents, to take care of calling the listing agent to let us in, to take care of utilities, etc. I politely inform them that under California real estate laws and the Business and Professions Code, it is the Realtor's responsibility to take care of those things. That's why they get paid the big bucks. I'm sure not going to do their job for them unless they're willing to share their commission with me.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.