Vent stack termination

I know the minimum termination, but I could not find a clear answer for a maximum or if there is one. I’ve never seen one this high and there were no intake type of vents near it so it just seemed odd. Is there a maximum?

I don’t think you’re going to find one Thomas but that is way too high.

2 Likes

I found this, see pages 13 & 14, but I don’t think it applies to your situation. In cold climates, that excessive length above roof could lead to a frost plug.

2 Likes

that’s Your basic vent stack flag pole combo…special order from harbor freight…

5 Likes

Thanks guys! Built in ‘79 and guess the installer forgot his hack saw and was too lazy to cut it down. Thanks for the PDF @dwigger…good info for my files. Being here in Jawja, we don’t have to worry much about snow, but it sure looked like they may have over compensated for our never has happened 3’ snowfall… :wink:

1 Like

There is a section of commercial businesses in my area that all have tall vents. This area is the high point for the underground sanitary. Because of this, the stench of sewer gas from the stacks was/is horrible. Raising the stacks helped make it less noticeable. Not sure why.

3 Likes

and for the night time patriot there is an optional solar light kit available…

I considered consequence. The vent may be subject to some wind strain or storm damage which in turn might wear out the boot. Other than that, no concerns IMO. I would likely not report on it.

It’s better than this

2 Likes

I’m just going to make note of it being higher than usually observed and further evaluation should be considered.

4 Likes

so You are not a Patriot ??? :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Maybe installed by a furnace/fireplace guy and got confused with the 3-2-10 rule.

3 Likes