Vent Stack

How far should a vent stack extend through a roof ? IRC P3103.1 does not have it listed?

**P3103.1 Roof extension. **Open vent pipes that extend through a roof shall be terminated at least 6 inches (152 mm) above the roof or 6 inches (152 mm) above the anticipated snow accumulation, whichever is greater, except that where a roof is to be used for any purpose other than weather protection, the vent extension shall be run at least 7 feet (2134 mm)above the roof.

Thanks Jeff, I have the 2003 2nd edition IRC for some reason they did not fill in the numbers.

Thanks again.

I saw that too. They corrected it in the 2006 edition. . .

Hi. Jeff;

No disrespect intended, but what did you quote prior to the 2006 edition? ha. ha.

Standard of the Industry right. No it was driving down the street and looking at the homes. No. it was measuring next door neighbors vent right? No you found it in BOCA. ???

I thought I could pull your leg on this one and couldn’t resist.

Marcel

Hey Marcel, :wink:

Actually, I rarely look at the IRC except to help others in jurisdictions where it is used. CA uses variations of the Uniform Building Code (UBC), and we call it the California Building Code (CBC).

The 2006 IRC will be the first IRC edition applied to our state. We have recently adopted the International Codes and are expected to be implementing them in new construction in 2007.

I knew it, I knew it, you would have a good answer. ha. ha.
Amazing what 3000 miles or so can make such difference.

Thanks Jeff.

Marcel

Here’s what our code says. . .[FONT=Arial][size=2]

906.1 Each vent pipe or stack shall extend through its flashing and shall terminate vertically not less than six (6) inches (152 mm) above the roof nor less than one (1) foot (305 mm) from any vertical surface.

[/size][/FONT]

I guess that would not work so well in this area.

It has to be minimum of 12" per the IRC without checking,and I am probably wrong because I do not use the Code book but commen sense and the standard of the Industry is more so of 18’ to 24".

We have snow here. I guess that is the difference.

Marcel

what else do you use a roof for??

decks, hot tub, gardens, tennis courts … the possibilities are endless. :slight_smile:

oh you mean “good weather” things. not sure i know what that is.:frowning:

Thats also covered in CodeCheck:wink: