Venting into a chimney

Originally Posted By: mpfeffer
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just read a couple threads mentioning similar situations, but I’m not 100% sure about this yet: I looked at a home with an old masonry chimney. In the basement, the water heater and furnace Y’d together, then went up into the masonry chimney. I didn’t see a liner from the roof. Is this OK? Is there a regulation on this? I too see a common b vent around here 95% of the time for water htr/furnaces to vent up through the roof. Would the above situation be OK with a liner installed? the way it is? Or not at all? Thanks in advance…

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Does the vent pipe go all the way up the chimney?

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

Matt:

What type of fuel does the furnace use?

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jsavino

Matt

I'm assuming the fuel being used is gas. If the heating system was converted from oil to gas, part of the install would be a chimney liner.(stainless steel)
They did this because of the stack temp. Lower stack (exhaust ) temp will cause condensation, and cause the inside of a stone or masonry chimney to deteriorate faster. Being Y'd together is fine. Its not necessary to have a stainless lined chimney. Recommend to your client to have the chimney inspected by a certified chimney sweep co. There is an organization and a type of inspection but I can't recall the name at this time.
Hope that helped.
John

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

If the furnace or hot water tank was high effeincy what would you say?

PS I used the spell checker on effcieny and it did not give efficiency as an option. So let us not bust others on spelling.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Mike,

High efficiency furnaces and water heaters are always appropriately vented or power vented through the side of the house. If you have a high efficiency furnace venting into an unlined chimney, you have a poor vent installation of a high efficiency heating appliance.

![](upload://1LKzQNrN2KaEkWzWQ83NgrwoXYA.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

David

Good call. I just wanted others to think and learn. Some might not know this.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: jsavino

David

That is not necessarily so. If a chimney is pulling .04 to .06 inches of water column draft, there's nothing wrong with that chimney and it's venting properly. Liners are installed to stop the wash-down from condensation, especially from old terra cotta lined chimneys.

Case in point; my heating system is high efficiency and the house was built in 1947. My chimney is terra cotta lined and still has .05 inches draft with 85% efficiency and stack temperature of 350 degrees.

Draft test is very important on a chimney.

John

Originally Posted By: dvalley

. An added insert would be appropriately vented.

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: mpfeffer

thanks for all the replies. This is an old oil burner. the water htr is at the lower end of the efficiency chart, about 2 years old. The vent did not go all the way up. Just stubbed in i’m sure. He did deal it well though. Thanks again guys.