Water heater vented into flue

Originally Posted By: Steve Yared
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is there any concern when a gas water heater only is vented into a clay tile lined chimney flue, or is it only a problem when the chimney is unlined (brick only). The furnace was upgraded and now vents through the wall so the water heater is alone in the flue.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Steve,

Of course you should be checking the flue liner for damage but yes it is ok to vent only the water heater in the chimney. Yes it is ok with the liner. Not it is not ok if the liner is missing.

Are you as confused as me yet. I feel like I am talking in circles tonight.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: mpatton

Steve & Joe,

I do not have a source to quote but I have recently read somewhere the exception to discharging gas furnaces & water heaters into a clay liner is if it has been previously used for an oil fired furnace. Supposedly the oil residue in the liner will react with the gas residue and moisture causing potential for spalding of the clay liner if I remember correctly. They recommended that a metal liner be installed. Now with all of that said, how do you insure that the heating system was always something besides oil?

When dealing with masonry flues I have a typical statement that I do not inspect these and recommend a chimney sweep to inspect for safety.

Can anyone confirm what I have just stated about the spalding of the liner, I will also backtrack and see if I can support the statement.

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I also thought that there were problems venting oul heater and gas-fired water heaters into the same flue. Our guest speaker at our upcoming NYNACHI chapter meeting is a certified chimney sweep and a member of the national chimnmey sweep guild. He’s been a sweep for the past 25 years, and relines and repairs chimneys every day. He corrected me, and stated that gas-fired water heaters and oil-fired furnaces CAN share the same flue. Maybe we should ask him this specific question, and he can clarify it and point us to the current codes which govern it…

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Mike,

Sent your comment/quastion on to Ted Cuttitta of Hi-Tor Chimney Sweeps. Let's see if he can help.

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: Steve Yared

Thanks guys, as always good help here.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Joe F,

I agree that you are not supposed to mix combustionables in the same flue, at least that was my understanding of it.

Steve,

You are already giving your client the best advice possible when you state they should have the liner inspected by a professional. As a general rule I always call for further inspection by a professional when circumstances warrant it, such as deterioration, cracks...etc. especially if you have a dirty flue liner like from a fireplace.

Joe Myers