Vinyl siding spots above nails

Originally Posted By: syared
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Wish the picture I took could show what I’ll describe but the problem is to subtle to be seen in a picture.

On the vinyl siding are discolored spots, actually the gray siding is a little lighter at these spots, the spots are in front of each nail holding the course below. What would cause this? Is it a thermal reaction or a reaction to the type of nail? It's only on the west side of the house that's 10 years old.

Originally Posted By: ahalstead

Steve,

When uninformed D-I-Y’ers install siding, perhaps they may take the instruction about not sending the nail home to literally. Vinyl siding needs to be installed so the siding can “slide” back and forth, up and down, as it expands and contracts. Therefore, it is nailed somewhat loosely. So I am wondering if the siding was installed so loosely that the nail was actually in contact with the course over top of it??

Allen

Allen J. Halstead

Tri-County Home Inspections
Ghent, NY

"...for your peace of mind..."

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Quote:
the spots are in front of each nail holding the course below

In front?
Those flat head nails that attach the lower courses are inside a 1/2" cavity of the upper course. I don't understand why a nail head would cause problems with the siding that it is tucked underneath of, unless of course those particular nails are not driven and the children are throwing a ball against the side of the house causing the nail heads to push against the siding as the ball hits that area. Is there a driveway in front of this area?

Just a wild guess.

Pic would be nice.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."