Vinyl windows on stone veneer

Inspection today showed a base flashing on top of a stone veneer that was not present beneath a vinyl window. I’ve researched an not been able to find anything regarding the presence of a flashing beneath the window on stone veneer. I was wondering if it’s required or not. It seems to me as though it would be required, however, I don’t have a construction background and am not familiar with window flashing installation on stone veneer. The photos show the window in question. Any input would be appreciated.

No window frame assembly.
No outer window sill.

IMO… From the photos, it appears the windows are designed for this installation. To verify this, you need to contact the Manufacturer for specific guidence if not discussed in any installation instructions.
(It would have helped to have a view without the screens attached).

This is a newer construction so its likely a nailfin window. Think about how the flashing will work at the window…it doesnt.

At the walls to the sides, the leg of the metal flashing bent upward can lap behind the housewrap(maybe 1/100 builders do this) or they apply flashing tape to the top edge of the metal flashing(half of the builders), or they just leave it lapped behind the siding only(other half of the builders).

What happens at the window? There isn’t anything for the metal flashing to lap behind. Might as well caulk this joint at this point. Now, if the window had a built-in J-trim around it, then you can potentially lap up maybe half an inch behind the J-trim but that’s about it.

1 Like

Hey Yu, thanks for the feedback. That makes sense. Looks like I need to brush up on my window installation. I appreciate everyone’s feedback!

Continue to learn. I would show more concern about lack of a visible weep screed at ground level. It could be hidden by all the mulch. Use this for reference for lick & stick.

3 Likes

INSTALLING WATERTABLE/SILLS
Watertable/Sills are typically used as a wainscot cap/transition piece or a window sill. Install
using galvanized metal support brackets (such as Simpson Strong Tie A21) or other galvanized
right angle supports with a 5 lb./lin.ft. holding capacity. Fasten brackets with galvanized
screws or nails penetrating studs 1” at a minimum of 16” on center. Use construction adhesive
to bond sill to support brackets. Flash & caulk. Flashing should extend to the surface of the
exterior wall finish. Use code approved flashing & installation methods.

CSI-Installation-Guidelines-for-Adhered-Natural-Thin-Stone-Veneer.pdf
window sill

R703.4.1Flashing installation at exterior window and door openings. (Fenestrations)

Flashing at exterior window and door openings shall extend to the surface of the exterior wall finish or to a water-resistive barrier complying with [Section 703.2](https://codes.iccsafe.org/s/IRC2021P2/part-iii-building-planning-and-construction/IRC2021P2-Pt03-Ch07-SecR703.4.1#IRC2021P2_Pt03_Ch07_SecR703.2) for subsequent drainage. Air sealing shall be installed around all window and door openings on the interior side of the rough opening gap. Mechanically attached flexible flashings shall comply with AAMA 712. Flashing at exterior window and door openings shall be installed in accordance with one or more of the following:

1. 1.The fenestration manufacturer’s installation and flashing instructions, or for applications not addressed in the fenestration manufacturer’s instructions, in accordance with the flashing manufacturer’s instructions. Where flashing instructions or details are not provided, pan flashing shall be installed at the sill of exterior window and door openings. Pan flashing shall be sealed or sloped in such a manner as to direct water to the surface of the exterior wall finish or to the water-resistive barrier for subsequent drainage. Openings using pan flashing shall incorporate flashing or protection at the head and sides.
  2. 2.In accordance with the flashing design or method of a registered design professional.
  3. 3.In accordance with other approved methods.