Wa. State Guys.......

What are the limits of our license? Looked for a description/definition of the license and could not find.I know it doesn’t include SPI,etc.I’m looking for an actual state issued description.

Wouldn’t that be the SOP?

We need Stephen Stanczyk to chime in.

Not sure what you are looking for. Here is the specific law, the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) that of course refers to the State Standards of Practice that are listed in the Washington Administrative Code (WAC). The SOP is not a law, it is a “code” that can be changed with much less restriction than a law. (non legislation but administrative that still has public hearings)

**Chapter 18.280 RCW (Revised Code of Washington)



Duties of a licensed home inspector.

A person licensed under this chapter is responsible for performing a visual and noninvasive inspection of the following readily accessible systems and components of a home and reporting on the general condition of those systems and components at the time of the inspection in his or her written report: The roof, foundation, exterior, heating system, air-conditioning system, structure, plumbing and electrical systems, and other aspects of the home as may be identified by the board. The inspection must include looking for certain fire and safety hazards as defined by the board. The standards of practice to be developed by the board will be used as the minimum standards for an inspection. The duties of the home inspector with regard to wood destroying organisms are provided in RCW 18.280.190.

Let me know if there is something more specific you are after. Or give me a call at my number below.


And one thing to not forget is this wording in your contract.

**WAC 308-408C-050

(4) A statement that the inspection does not include investigation of mold, asbestos, lead paint, water, soil, air quality or other environmental issues unless agreed to in writing in the preinspection agreement.

Yes I am familiar with all the above.I am looking for a description from the state of what my license actually means.Can I look at an apartment or condo building with this license? I mean the whole building minus individual units.What are the limitations of my license?

Your license is for home inspections, up to 4 units. Above 4 units, it is considered commercial and is not regulated or licensed.

You may want to check with your insurance for coverage beyond a “Home Inspection”, too.

As Nick suggested it’s in Your SOP.

This SOP is applicable to buildings with four or fewer dwelling units and their attached garages or carports.

Thanks that what I thought but missed it in the SOP.Now about that insurance;)