Wanted: Good MWBC (multi-wire branch circuit) Diagram

Thank you Randy!

I think one thing that would be helpful would be to label the black conductor circuit 1, and the red conductor circuit 2. Then label the white conductor as “circuit 1 and circuit 2 shared neutral.” Or something along those lines. And possibly a label indicating the handle tie should be installed.

Another idea, but not critical if it is too much work, would be to show all of the conductors coming together into the panel through a common sheathing. Then splitting apart and going to their respective terminations.

They are not two separate circuits, they are two different phases sharing one neutral That, in fact, is what makes them safe. If they were simply two different circuits (same phase) sharing a neutral that could be a fire. L1 and L2 is more accurate and informative.

2 Likes

Try this one:

3 Likes

Point taken. They should not be labeled as circuit 1 and 2 maybe. But L1 and L2 isn’t enough. Maybe Hot Wire 1 and Hot Wire 2?

You drew exactly what I had in my mind. That is awesome! @rkenney is right though, they shouldn’t be labeled as separate circuits as technically they are not. I’m open to ideas but Hot wire 1 and hot wire 2 may be a possibility. I don’t think “ungrounded conductor” would be proper considering the audience.

1 Like

They are Leg 1 and Leg 2. Ultimately it won’t matter what you label them because you will have a lot of explaining to convey all the information needed to a bewildered client with no electrical background.
confused-animated-smiley

I really don’t understand why you feel that way. Otherwise all they have to go off is the narrative. A picture is worth a thousand words someone once said.

1 Like

A picture is indeed worth a thousand words. Unfortunately it is a different thousand words for a thousand different viewers.

Care to share your narrative for when you see a MWBC without a handle tie?

I think that last graphic is perfect and you’re right Ryan, its a good compliment to your narrative.

2 Likes

Heres another image that I think does an alright job – not sure if you’ve found this one or not.

1 Like

I did see it. It just didn’t really go with my narrative. Or at least didn’t help to “clarify” my narrative. Randy’s picture looks almost literally drawn for my narrative.

1 Like

They are two 120 volt circuits so I don’t see a problem with labeling them as two circuits. And what’s the definition of a separate circuit anyway?

3 Likes

Since they utilize the same neutral conductor, can they be considered two individual circuits?

We’ve got home inspectors that don’t grasp these concepts. You wish to explain it to “a homeowner” with a graphic :slight_smile: You will first have to teach them some basics. Good luck with that.

1 Like

Yes they are two 120 volt circuits. If you ran a single MWBC for kitchen receptacles it would satisfy the requirement to provide the minimum of two circuits. The NEC does allow a MWBC to be considered one circuit when it’s used for a separate structure.

2 Likes

I don’t know. I think you underestimate the client’s desire to know a little more about the deficiencies you note in the report. Especially when it come to electrical. But yes, there is a fine line that you have to consider.

1 Like

I don’t, I just know that an average homeowner of today won’t understand what the hell a MWBC is from a graphic, other than it’s 2x 120V circuits. Having a desire to “know” and “understand”, albeit related, are vastly different concepts. Now, if they “truly” wish to learn, they can easily do so by “researching” it. Most homeowners don’t even bother reading the report completely. BTW, I’m not against a graphic that “attempts” to explain it, I just doubt it will do much good without at least some basic knowledge, like why there are 3 conductors coming into their home from POCO :slight_smile: Where does one draw a line, how many graphics should be in a typical HI report, you tell me, but I try to keep it very brief and to a point.

2 Likes

Like the mentality of Minnesotans vs New Yorkers?? :wink:

1 Like

So I know it is different in different places, but in my area, almost all of the clients attend at the end of the inspection for a walk-through. So when we discuss the electrical panel, it can be very confusing and time-consuming to try and explain the MWBC missing handle tie situation. With a good narrative, and accompanying graphic, I can tell the client at the walkthrough that there is a MWBC missing a handle tie and it is explained better in the report. Then we can move on to the next item without spending 20 minutes at the panel.

1 Like