Water Damage Inquiry

Are certified inspectors trained to identify water damaged (warping, cupping, crowning, etc.) flooring (laminate plank resembling wood) in a basement?

Besides photos, how should such an observation of water damage be documented in writing in a report?

Flooring has sustained possible water / moisture damage. Further investigation should be performed by a qualified contractor.

AND/OR

Flooring reveals seams, some blemishes, or a small tear and is considered cosmetic. A qualified licensed contractor should inspect further and repair as needed.

Do you have pictures to share?

1 Like

Yes, an inspector should be able to identify damaged materials. It is up to the inspector to decide if the damage is a reportable concern.

I do not include cosmetic issues or normal wear/tear in my report.

1 Like

Write what you see. If water damage is evident provide pictures and descriptions of water damage for the material photographed. Stains, warping, cupping, curling, de-lamination, etc. . . Indicate current wetness if possible. Probe for rot.

2 Likes

Are you asking because you got an inspection and later found water damage on the house you purchased? Damage could happen after the inspection. If this is the case you can not prove when the water damage occurred. And most likely all you will get is your inspection fee returned.
Read your agreement.

Yes, home inspectors should be trained to be able to identify moisture damaged materials.

That would be up to the discretion of the inspector.

1 Like

Thanks. In short. No, the damage was there at time of inspection. It is a home my daughter bought. Some flooding recently occurred in basement due to a rain event. Surprised some plausible explanation of the floor’s condition was not provided in the report.

An inspector says what they see. Here for example the gaps in the floor appear readily observable. But an inspector sees a point of time, and can’t know anything about cause or history directly.

1 Like

Did you take that picture after your daughter’s home flooded?
Was the home inspection done before your daughter’s home flooded?
Do you have a picture of the floor before your daughter’s home flooded?

You might guess my next question.

3 Likes

It seems like you know the reason, a home inspector can not report a reason for the damage or the cause of the damage. Only report that there was damage and recommend further evaluation by a professional contractor.

Ok, you’re not giving us the proper time sequence.
InterNachi is an inspection organization who’s members use this standard of practice

1 Like

Is that photo from the report? What did the report say exactly?

An inspector is not required to determine causation. In fact, it is discouraged. And we do not “guess” at possible causes (there could be dozens).

Observe and report significant defects is our job.

3 Likes