water heater question

Originally Posted By: jhorton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I had a client ask me a question I could not answer. Why do some codes require water heaters to be elevated off the floor? We are a rural are with no zoning outside the cities so I really don’t know. Never seen it done.

I was following a previous inspector who had written this up with explination. My best guess was since these were gas fired that it is to keep the flame above any gas fumes that might collect in the garage.

Am I right?

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Jeff,

In my area, the only time I watch for elevated water heaters is in the garage and garage only. Yes...because gas fumes from the car tend to float towards the water heater firebox area, causing a massive explosion.
![](upload://aiprKrNJywoJZtxchN1CFUPqoSq.gif)
Installing the W/H higher will put the flame box higher than the floor area of the garage. Our clearance is 18" above the garage floor.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Scotty Lee

Actually any gas or oil fired appliance in a garage or storage room that has the possibility of having gasoline stored in the same room needs to be elevated 18? above the floor or slab. This includes gas dryers and water heaters. This has been around for several years and is in all manufactures installation guidelines.

A new twist to this regulation is the addition of electric water heaters as they have a mechanical thermostat that can spark when it turns on and could also ignite gas vapors.

Your location does not matter, rural or in the city is still unsafe. In rural areas you might also be dealing with LPG and it will blow if you have an LPG leak and an ignition source as it is heavier than air and will hug the floor or ground.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Scotty,

You actually brought up a good point. If and when anyone is inspecting a water heater in a storage closet...Look for those gas containers that are being stored. Not good.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

And paint cans, and paint thinner, and turpentine, and… icon_evil.gif

Blaine

Originally Posted By: pgudek

What about electric water heaters in a garage or utility room off of a garage. The code I read said 18 inches above the lowest element. It didn’t specify gas or electric. I frequently find electric heaters in the garage sitting right on the floor.

Originally Posted By: Scotty Lee

pgudek wrote:
What about electric water heaters in a garage or utility room off of a garage. The code I read said 18 inches above the lowest element. It didn't specify gas or electric. I frequently find electric heaters in the garage sitting right on the floor.

The chance of ignition is not as great with an electric unit but it is still possible. I note all water heaters, regardless if they are electric or gas if they are not elevated. Why take the chance.

Sure it is going to upset the applecart, but you are only reporting what you find.

Scotty