We propose to do for homes what ENERGY STAR had done for appliances

Have you every seen an ENERGY STAR appliance?

Well,… Federal Government intends to make all homes labeled similarly.
The home label is called www.homeenergyscore.gov.

Participating InterNACHI inspectors will be doing them first. http://www.nachi.org/hes.htm

Feds want all 130 million existing homes labeled.

Strategy: Leverage the Fed’s national campaign for energy inspections to boost your home inspection business.

So this is in essence the Fed increasing the cost of selling your home?

Great! :sarcasm:

How’s that?
Feds are going to essentially promote property inspections.

It’s like this:

If this catches on no matter how could it could be for those doing the energy audits, people will expect it when they buy a home and somebody will have to pay.

Am I missing anything?

Yep.

About 130 million potential clients.

Paying.

Paying InterNACHI inspectors.

Good for inspectors. Maybe.

As has been mentioned earlier, with utility companies offering energy audit services at discounted rates it will be tough to gain market share.

You can also expect the various contractors to provide the energy assessment for cheap so home owners can pay them to improve your score.

As others have found out it’s tough to compete against motivated contractors and energy utilities not to mention the numerous government programs available for energy audits and energy related home improvements.

Not so good for consumers and especially home sellers and even worse for tax payers.:frowning:

I’m all for improving energy efficiency but near government mandates just stink on ice.

Michael, you have an excellent point. When the feds first started talking about this stuff they were proposing a label with the actual and recommended minimum levels to be shown. They also said that when a person sold their home they had to meet the latest minimum energy requirements before they could put the home on the market. This would then be an expensive retrofit if you inherited the home that your parents had lived in for the past 30 years and not updated to the latest standards. People who could not afford to upgrade would lose the home, because they would have to abandon the property, the government would then own it, retrofit and sell it thus making a profit at our expense.

This is not a government mandate program.

The Feds are laying the groundwork for a self-sustaining home energy efficiency retrofit industry with voluntary national workforce standards.

Do me the honor of reading what I said. :roll:

I did again. … something about “stinking.”

Soon, free or low-cost non-diagnostic energy assessments will hit the market. Qualified assessors will be inside thousands of homes, providing energy inspection services.

The InterNACHI inspector who incorporates energy into their services will remain competitive in that property inspection market.

You missed a very important modifier ahead of mandate.:roll: “near”

It isn’t the first time a voluntary program acted as a mandate in the market place.

I also said “if” this catches on it will be expected by home buyers and this increase the cost of selling your home.

You also did not address the very real possibility of contractors, utilities and local and state governments providing this service at highly subsidized or “free” rates.

We can all hope it works out but as the last election shows hope isn’t worth much.

Monday, I had breakfast with Xcel Energy (large utility company around here) and other energy stakeholders. We’re trying to get utility companies to hire InterNACHI inspectors as the assessors. The InterNACHI inspector leverages the free assessment to boost their business, the homeowner does not pay, utility company pays for the assessment because it’s an agreement with the Feds to do such things.

But we’ve got to get InterNACHI inspectors to incorporate energy into their services, and qualified to perform energy inspections.

Xcel is my energy provider.

They currently have an online energy assessment tool for business for each state they operate in.

Many utility companies, contractors, HVAC are now everywhere offering “energy audits” on homes for free; and for a reason.

Now home inspectors will have no choice but do the simple “walk-around” for free, and charge for the full audit if the buyer chooses.

This all sounds to me like a violation of ethics.

I can now see every state offering licensing of “home energy auditors” and educational providers offering classes for fees.

Here we go, again…

The problem with offering free energy assessments… they don’t work. There’s no follow-through on the recommendations. And that’s the main point. Information without action is useless. And everyone is realizing that (including utility companies and the Feds). Therefore, it’ll be recommended that the energy assessment, like the www.homeenergyscore.gov, be around $50. Because when a homeowner pays, they ‘lean in’ and listen and take action.

2nd point about contractors. We all know that homeowners hardly trust the words that come from contractors. The Feds are looking for 3rd party neutral inspectors, trusted faces in the community. Hmmm… Whose Code of Ethics do you think Nick and I have been promoting to the Feds and all other stakeholders? Hee hee.

$50 to to crawl the attic and/or crawlspace?

You’ve got to be kidding. :roll:

How? I can’t compete with FREE

The problem with offering free energy assessments… they don’t work. There’s no follow-through on the recommendations. And that’s the main point. Information without action is useless. And everyone is realizing that (including utility companies and the Feds). Therefore, it’ll be implemented with an associated fee for the energy assessment, such as the www.homeenergyscore.gov, priced around $50. Because when a homeowner pays, they ‘lean in’ and listen and take action.

2nd point about contractors. We all know that homeowners hardly trust the words that come from contractors. Even if the energy assessment is free, if it’s provided by a contractor, the homeowner won’t go along with the recommendations.

The Feds are looking for 3rd party neutral inspectors, trusted faces in the community. Hmmm… Whose Code of Ethics do you think Nick and I have been promoting to the Feds and all other stakeholders? Hee hee.

Kinda like home inspections.:wink:

Bingo.