We used the IR camera on location in this crawlspace inspection video course.

Nick writes

Joe writes

Why wouldn’t such a system be acceptable? It’s been used everywhere for many years with great success. Who doesn’t “accept” a crawlspace sub membrane depressurization system? How is it “not an acceptable measure” ?

Nick writes

Joe writes

I don’t see how my statement may not be perfectly accurate. Explain. Are you saying that the liquid guage is always visible from outside the crawlspace and not often only visible from the crawlspace?

James, please take the crawlspace course. Follow this link, to take the course, which includes the course material, exam, and certificate.

Tell me what you think about the course.
Then post your comments on this thread.

As soon as you take the course, I’ll send a check in the mail to you. Take it for free. Just give your honest opinion. I think that it’s not possible to make an informed judgement without actually taking the course.

Okay, bud?

Some would say “substantially:wink:

Ahh… the SOP is quite short on what an inspector is required to do inside a crawlspace (crawlspace in particular.)

That’s one reason why we made the video. We take the requirements of the SOP, and apply them in two real, actual inspections. One crawlspace is clean and neat, but the other has so much thrown at us, the SOP is just a faded memory.

Watch how a CMI handles major challenges in a crawlspace. How do you compare with him? How would you inspect the major defects? I bet $20 that most inspectors wouldn’t even enter the spaces that we were shooting. Ask yourself about what narratives would you write for the restrictions and the defects that were there? Put yourself in the inspector’s shoes.

The downloadable course material includes narratives written by Kenton Shepard. They are written for crawlspaces. The course material alone is worth the price.

Ben, do the underbellies of mobile homes count? that’s about the worst crawlspace I’ve ever been in,

I really hate crawlspaces - I didn’t make it very far in this one on Monday, just way too unsafe.

Inspecting a mobile home is like being in a different world. Isn’t it. It sucks getting underneath them. The same inspection restrictions that we go over in the video can apply to mobile homes. The floor structures are always insulated with a vapor barrier (the ones in good conditions that is).

Aaahh man. I don’t know. I probably would have been really tempted to check out those buckets for my client.

Brian, the only thing missing from that picture is the skunk sound asleep as you crawl under there!!!

That’s usually my problem, I’m a very curious person and really wanted to get my way back there. But with the wiring the way it was, and the fact I found a huge bees nest just above the entry - I decided not to.

“Curiousity killed the cat”

No doubt…That’s another sign of me not entering a crawlspace - large chunks of fur throughout the crawlspace. I learned that the hard way. :shock:

Good call, Brian.

I watched the video. Thank you for the free coupon, Nick.

First, I want to say that I was glad to see that there was no one speaking from a wet 24" crawlspace. While the advertising for the video would lead one to believe otherwise, there appeared to be no “wet and muddy” areas in any of the shots. Though is was almost inaudible and Kenton was looking away from the camera as he said it, he actually stated that an inspector would not want to enter a wet crawlspace.

So, as I stated earlier…it is not the video, but the producer of the video in his posts that is recklessly portraying that the SOP should or will “fade from memory” as one enters the wet crawlspaces that he bets $20 that most home inspectors would fear to enter. These irresponsible posts do a disservice to and certainly detract from Kenton’s efforts.

I was waiting and never found what makes this particular video “advanced”.

I noted Mike Larson and a few others won the chance for a free view and perhaps he/they found it to be more than just a basic “how to” on crawlspaces. I didn’t.

There were a few points in the video that I would disagree with; particularly, Kenton’s decision not to report the return air plenum - fashioned from covering the joists with sheet metal with measurable openings - as a defect, especially considering the moisture, the indication of possible mold growth, and pooling of water that was evident in the immediate area.

I also noted the use of unlike metals used to hang the copper service lines in the second crawlspace that were not mentioned.

Still…as a refresher or for someone who has never been in a crawlspace before, this video is a good primer.

Those are my comments. Thanks for letting me share them.

I viewed it this evening as well.

It was decent but I don’t see what was “advanced” about it.

There some concerns I saw that where not commented about.

The drain line being “supported” by a hole strap that was not tight is one.

I have a few other things but did feel it was good presentation for Inspecting a crawl space or any open under structure such as an unfinished basement.

Kenton did a good job explaining the need for PPE but did not take his own advice in the second crawl space even though he pointed out the the presence of probable mold and the smell of leaking waste plumbing.

Maybe the IR scan and moisture meter make it “advanced” :wink:

And thanks again for the chance to view it.

JMHO

Nick,

In response to your two posts.

Sub-membrane depressurization may or may not come into play. Here’s why:

Often, a rat slab is present in the crawlspace, not a plastic membrane. Where conventional plastic is installed, it will not suffice; whether black or clear.

Where membrane IS installed, it is sealed at all edges and at penetration points. It is NOT made to be walked on or crawled on.

Additionally, even though the crawl may have a depressurization system installed, if the crawl is off a larger basement (as many are) the piping may be extended from a main system, and may not have its own suction gauge.

So, no, your statement may not be comletely accurate.

These are my points.

Look. Bottom line.

1. Some houses have crawlspaces.

2. Some crawlspaces are “Funky”.

3. Our clients don’t know Jack about the safety hazard in crawlspaces (rats, racoons, leaking sewrage, leaky pipes, electrical hazards, the list goes on and on.

4. Our clients pay us to check out the possible defects in the crawls. We are the “professionals” (or so some say :wink: ), but it seems to me (and just my opinion) that some do all they can to keep from entering a crawl. If we dn’t do it, who will. How do you defer a crawlspace inspection? Who else would be crazy enough, or enough of a “generalist” to do so. Just think, awhile, on all the possible “experts” the client would have to hire:

• Structural Engineer or licensed and insured foundation contractor.
  • Plumber
  • HVAC Tech
  • Carpenter
  • General Contractor
  • Geologist
  • Crazy person who is just trying to make a video and advance the HI industry and teach other HIs a thing or three and didn’t mind getting his pants dirty.
    The first 6 are exoensive, but the last is priceless :mrgreen: .

I, almost every time, do so. I try (and, usually suceed) to get into the crawl. I wear knee pads, gloves, have a “miner’s lamp” on my head and try to inspect the entire perimeter of the crawl. If I can’t get in (< 18" clearance or an obvious hazard) I don’t go in.

Nuff said.

But, I always try.

Hope this helps;

I started the course last night and could not finish it [late], but it looked great for the first 15 minutes. I will finish the course tonight and update everyone!

Mario, that coupon was only for 24 hours. It tells you on the page how long you have finish it.

Thanks for the heads up Michael, I managed to finish watching it this evening.