Not crawling that crawlspace

At what point do you tell a client that nope I am not crawling a part or all of that crawlspace due to the level of animal droppings?

I’m inspecting rural homes usually. Im fine in 98% of crawlspaces however when I get to a point where I cannot crawl without laying on animal droppings and dragging through such as you have to do to fit under the cross supports on a manufactured home I typically tell the client nope not doing it. Or if I cannot crawl on all fours without having to look each time i move any body part to avoid putting my hands knees and feet in animal dropping I also say no

What about you?

I wear a full face respirator long rubber gloves and full coveralls.

It is your decision for safety, etc.

4 Likes

If I am not comfortable with my safety for any reason, I send in the robot.
I can deal with some discomfort or physical challenge, but I don’t compromise on safety.

Poop
Wires on ground
Insulation on ground
Flooding
Live animals

Too much of those things and I won’t go in.

9 Likes

I use my best judgement. Had one this summer where it was damp and there were several low hanging electrical cables and wire splices outside of junction boxes. The crawl was about 2’ tall with no lighting. Told client I was not comfortable going in and that I would refund the $50 crawlspace add-on that I charged. I’d rather give up the $50 then die in a crawlspace.

I did take a plethora of pics from the entrance though and still had probably 5 items to put in my report.

5 Likes

At the point I decide not to crawl thru shit.

2 Likes

It’s a health hazard to you no matter how well protected you are and the client should be able to understand that.

4 Likes

I am lucky in my area. Very few crawlspaces, maybe a handful a year. Kudos to you guys that do them all the time!!

4 Likes

This is one of my bad ones! :rofl:
DSC02590

3 Likes

At the point that you feel unsafe doing so.

I inspected a crawl space last week that most inspectors wouldn’t have even attempted even with a robot.

3 Likes

That would be a no for me Richard! I may be able to squeeze in but I would be worried about squeezing out! :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:
Great job!

1 Like

The listing agent (yes, I said listing agent) called me yesterday just to thank me for going above and beyond. Said he would definitely put me on his referral list.

3 Likes

So I’m assuming this would be a hard NO for most? I was questioning leaving the crawlspace than I found the nests and said NOPE I’m out!

1 Like

I push hard in a crawlspace. I’m a thin guy (145lbs and 6’0") and I at least once a week squeeze thru a small space where I’m rubbing the whole way. Every time I push thru an area like that I always find mold, rot, disconnected dryer ducts, major plumbing leaks, disconnected furnace ducting, no insualtion…etc. But the rodent droppings I think very heavily about.

On the bright side I’ve only been stuck temporarily 3 times this year.

1 Like

I would personally also crawl that. It is also almost twice the amount of space my crawler needs, that comment made me LOL.

2 Likes

What kind of crawler? I’ve been thinking about getting one.

What do you do if it tips over or gets stuck?

What do you do when you encounter a ponywall with a poured footing full width of the house?

Hey there, Benjamin from SuperDroid Robots here!

We’ve had inspectors tell us they use crawlers to check out areas like this to limit the chance of putting themselves at risk. Last year someone sent theirs in for repairs because they stumbled across a possum that was nesting down there and it did NOT want to share the crawl space.

As for tipping over or getting stuck, some inspectors tie a cord or line onto their crawler as a lifeline.

Happy to answer any other questions you have!

2 Likes

Jeepers, Joe, how can you continue inspecting? :rofl:

2 Likes

Alas, it is difficult Larry, but I forge ahead for my clients. :roll_eyes:
Actually, this crawlspace was reminiscent of the basement apartment I had in 1970 while I was in college!

2 Likes

That’s funny because I was thinking a family of small people may be able to live down there. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Which robot?