Well flow

I recently performed a home inspection and well flow test on a property here in PA, Flow and pressure were good at 6 gpm for flow and pressure at 55 psi average, the well produced adequate water for the home, no problem right.

This well has a submersible pump and the pressure tank is buried at the well.

This is what’s got me, after I had concluded the testing and inspection the buyer’s father and I were standing in the yard reviewing my findings when the well cap which was loose popped off and landed beside the casing.

Of course that raised several questions that I couldn’t answer, I didn’t have a clue.

What could cause a pressure discharge in a well casing enough to pop a loose cap off. I haven’t been able to get an logical answer and I’m hoping someone here can help.

Mark Jones

Fracking ???

That’s quite unusual Mark. Bad check valve? No clue really.

I remember someone who had poured muriatic acid down a well casing to try to flush out the mineral deposits, a last resort to getting a new well installed. There was occasional thudding sounds coming from the casing. It turned out there was electrical wire insulation damage, and the current arced across the gases causing a visible orange glow, like a filament. When the gas concentration got high enough, there was a small flammable event.:shock:

I can explain.

When you pumped the well, the dropping water level pulled a vacuum on the airspace in the casing which held the cap on.

After you stopped pumping the well, the water level rising back up pressurized the airspece in the casing which blew the cap off.

It means the well has a good (fast) recovery rate.

Pressure tank buried at the well…never seen that, any pics?

Was the water pumped from the house or at well head?

This is similar to what I’ve seen around here, Marcel:

http://www.aquascience.net/resource/images/content-images/underground%20setup.PNG

It’s a silly place to put it…

I agree, and it is usually more accessible (in a pit or such) than that pic shows. Sometimes, there just isn’t enough room in some little cabins and the like so the well drillers came up with that idea.

We, typically, put them in our basement. :slight_smile:

Nick, I would have offered that explanation, but the OP said the cap was loose.

Where the water table is deep here, anywhere not along the Rio Grande, there is usually a storage tank, with a jet pump and pressure tank after.

Again, the loose cap blew off when the water level in the well came back up (after pumping it down) and compressed the air in the casing.