Wells

Had client ask me today…

1. How do I know if my well is good, will I run out of water?
  2. question was, how many GPM do I have?

What information should we as inspectors be able to give, and how do we state what we can’t do for situations pertaining to wells?

Zero.

There is no way for a home inspector to determine the water content of a well, and the GPM is determined by the well pump, assuming the well isn’t dry.

When the storage tank is full, GPM to the home will be dependant on the size of the service line.

You said…GPM is determined by the well pump, not sure how you determine that??? 2nd people around my parts ask when you have a well " how my GPM is your well" GPM doesnot mean your well can go dry right? I mean you can have a 8 gpm and it still go dry right?

As a HI when it comes to wells what do you say to them about our scope of an home inspection?

http://watermonitor.gov/

http://watermonitor.gov/?a=groundwater

An inspection of the wellwater system is not in the scope of the home inspection.I recommend you contact a qualified contractor for further analysis.

As for the GPM the well will produce, there is no way for the HI to determine that. Well pumps will fill a tank at their rated GPM if the well is producing enough water.

I disclaim them altogether. I will check power supply to the pump and equipment, and inspect visible piping after the holding tank.

What they probably want to know is the recovery rate of the well as determined by a draw down test. A draw down test is not within the scope of a home inspection

too many variables, I would consult a Well company. I know in NH depending on the age of the home, all the information like well depth, static level, pump depth and size, recovery is now logged. All these factors determine the recovery. The best way for the draw down test would be at the well head if I am not mistaken.

In my opinion if you are inspecting rural properties you should have some general knowledge of wells.

Most minimums required by mortgage companies in my area like to see 4 gpm over an hours time. Again in our Province one must be licenced to conduct such tests.

Construction or well type is also important. I have seen many wells in my practice which have been worked on improperly and resulted in the Ministry ordering abandonedment of existing well and requiring a new well. As in most things people moving to the country have no idea what is involved with wells and this is were an inspector can help as a generalist and point the clients in the right direction and give info that assist with country purchasers.