What Are These Guys?

Originally Posted By: psmothers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

? ]

[ Image: ? ]

I thought that they were maybe indications of a post or pre tension slab. On one side of the house I found this.

[ Image: Moved Dirt ]

The way the dirt was moved looked to me to be signs of recent foundation work. I saw have a copy of the discloser statement and it did not mention anything about past or present trouble. Any ideas?

--
Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Peter,

The dirt looks like gutter overflow. Were they clogged or not installed? I can't make out the picture clearly, but that looks like a post tension cable.

Thanks Blaine. Now that I think about it there was no gutter on that side of the house. The neighborhood this home was build in had me worried. The whole area is only about 3 years old and is build in what use to be a swamp/marsh. They pumped it out and raised all the lots. They are all high end homes $260000 and up. Thanks for the reassurance.

Foxe Smothers

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Looks like post tension cables to me. Dead give away is the configuration of three rusted spots. The larger center one is the end of the cable, the two smaller ones on either side are the nails that held the ends in place to the forms. The cable ends should not be exposed, due to corrosion.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jpope

be left exposed like it is. The rust will eventually reach the grippers (wedges) and they will fail. This can cause damage and/or personal injury.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

jpope wrote:
1) It's important that the slab be permanently marked, indicating Post Tensioned Cables. If the slab is not marked, a sign must be visible in the garage giving the warning.

I did not know this. Is it in the IRC? I have never seen any type of markings or a sign.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636

I don’t recall exactly, but I believe it’s required by CRSI (Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institution) for residential applications.

I'll look for the requirement info.

![](upload://yVY6kLrsIuZJSi9yVk3OrOz0WfT.jpeg)

![](upload://9lja0Be4Pq2aWW80frFHQ9Rus62.jpeg)

--
Jeff Pope
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Wow. Nothing like that is ever posted in homes here.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636

Originally Posted By: ahalstead

Why would there be a post tensioned slab on grade?? I am not convinced it is PT. Although, I have to admit, the layout of the exposed ends sure does look like it … I thought pt was reserved for structural slabs, typically upper stories of a multi-storied structure, to give the slab additional tensile strength …

Allen J. Halstead

Tri-County Home Inspections
Ghent, NY

"...for your peace of mind..."

Allen,

All homes built here since about 35-40 years ago are slab on grade. A good percentage of them are post tensioned. Some builders here only do a post tensioned slab. As long as it is done correctly it is actually stronger/stiffer than a steel reinforced slab. I see 'em every week.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636

ahalstead wrote:
I am not convinced it is PT. Although, I have to admit, the layout of the exposed ends sure does look like it ..

I worked with these cables for over fifteen years in commercial applications. There is no mistaking them. What you see is the end of the cable that was improperly cut with a chop saw rather than a torch. The cable is required to be protected from corrosion and in this case, is not.

Those pictures are an accident waiting to happen. Cables are stressed to over 2200 psi. A thirty foot steel cable will be "stretched" almost 12 inches and remain live. When they let go, people get hurt.

ahalstead wrote:
I thought pt was reserved for structural slabs, typically upper stories of a multi-storied structure, to give the slab additional tensile strength ..

Residential PT slabs are very common these days. The most common commercial applications are bridges and parking structures.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Gentlemen,

Always a learning experience here! Here in the (currently C-O-L-D!!!) northeast, I am quite familiar with pre and post stressed tensioning at the commercial level (multi - story high rises and parking garages). Still wonder why this would be used for SOG construction … where typically there is minimal problem with settling, etc

Allen J. Halstead

Ghent, NY

Lots of good info, thx Guys!

Foxe Smothers

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

ahalstead wrote:
... where typically there is minimal problem with settling, etc

Depends on location. I see a fair amount of excessive settlement here. I was in a house the other day that dropped 9-1/2" along the back. Foundation contractor estimated 27 piers would have to go under the slab. To the tune of about $15,500.

I have yet to see this extreme amount of settlement in a post tensioned.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636

Originally Posted By: mtimpani

So what is the proper way to cover the exposed ends?

Thank you, MarkTimpani

www.pridepropertyinspections.com

They should be recovered with concrete.

Foxe Smothers

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Patrick,

9 1/2 inches? ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Must have felt like a ski slope walking in that house!

mtimpani wrote:
So what is the proper way to cover the exposed ends?

The proper method is to cover the ends with concrete, however, there is a "pocket form" used at the ends that recesses the ends about 2 1/2 inches from the edge of the concrete. The cables are to be cut deep in the pocket to allow for about 2 inches of complete coverage.

The ones pictured are a problem. They may require an epoxy coating and most likely will require regular maintenance to ensure their long lasting integrity.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Patrick,

You state you have seen settlement of 9.5 inches … was this house built on fill? If so, I now understand more clearly…

The virgin soil doesn’t settle and move that much in the SW, does it?

Allen

Allen J. Halstead

Ghent, NY

ahalstead wrote:
... was this house built on fill?

Yes it was. Although it's relatively flat here, most subdivisions have terraced lots to make up for the irregularities in the grade. It's cheaper for the builders to level the lots by building them up then digging down.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636