What building vent is next to the air vent into building?

I came across these vents that look like gas vents and if so is it to close to the air vent into the building. Is it possible they could be different vents other than gas or could possibly be from as HVAC system?Is it safe?

Look like gas regulator vents.
Is that a crawlspace? Do you access it?

3 Likes

It was a condo inspection and had limited access. Since it’s a large multi unit building we can rule out a crawl space.

Not sure what area of the country your located. Is there a basement with laundry, water heater or, furnace?? Gas appliances need “Make up air”. A source of fresh air for combustion.

Thats what I thought too. I have only seen these for gas in our area.The picture is a building in Northern New Jersey.

Welcome back to our forum, William!..Enjoy! :smile:

To me, it looks quite small for make up air unless there are more inlets elsewhere for the appliance(s).

3 Likes

IMO, it looks like a crawlspace vent that had been partially covered with cladding.
crawlspace vent

3 Likes

This is a large apartment building, maybe a mechanical room or basement. My concern is, will the air vent entering the building be subjected to incoming gases released from what looks like gas relief vents. Since gas is lighter than air and can travel a distance before it dissipates in the air. On the other side of the picture is the main entrance to the building.

Year of building.
If NG energy/heating, combustion air intake vent would not be so crudely designed or placed at the front of the building.
Likely a cold room.

No capillary break under the window sill.

So, it is very far from the entrance and nearly 4 feet from the nearest window. Is that window over the vent the subject condo?

No the window is not attached to the unit inspected. However the room may be used for building use.

So when doing condo’s; I clearly state that the inspection does not include common areas, connecting units etc. or you can include them but defining this scope is important.

That does not mean you cannot point out a safety issue even if it’s outside your scope or agreement.

1 Like