What courses would you like to see?

What he said

I would like to see:

Advanced fireplace/chimney course, showing level 1, 2 and 3 chimney inspections.

A better sprinkler system course, the one Mike Crow did was very poor, all he did was run the system in differant modes checking the spray patterns.

Anything with new Construction.

Report writing and defect recognition.

A framing course on attics/roof, walls, exterior wall construction

Thanks, most of the courses are of good quality thanks.

The last one I took 25 things every inspector should know was a tough one.

I thought this was an interesting topic.

Dear Forum Members,

Were an inspector to tell me that my electrical system was fine, without having performed an electrical test of the system, I would begin to question their competancy.

I have read other posts on this forum, where inspectors have said they only perform visual inspections due to time.

The most important test of all is a ground impedance fault loop test, this test will tell you wether your breakers will trip, and hence avoid an overheated circuit and resultant fire.

It can not be done by eye.

I have heard many electricians say its to code, but they dont test - so how do they know? I cant say the impedance is low enough by eye.

This sounds like a rant- it is not, I am an ex british electrician/electrical designer who also used to lecture part time at trade school. I have moved to Canada and working as an electrical designer, and am concerned about the lack of testing performed on electrical installations in North America.

A modern installation tester, will give fault levels, and prospective fault current at the touch of a button.

Such an instrument(rated for 120v 60hz) and certified to ansi/csa standards is a Fluke 1651B/1652B/1653B installation tester- although it is not publicised on the north american Fluke websites. No I dont work for Fluke.

This type of installation tester is mandatory for all electricians/electrical inpector in the UK, and widely available.

Other manufacturers include- Martindale, Megger, Kewtech(available next year for 120v 60hz), + many others.

The Ideal suretest(and similar) instruments are a good starting point but have problems I understand. Volt drop testing is good, but knowing the protection will operate is the most important thing.

Testing awareness is critical, as a faulty electrical installation will kill.

I suggest that the whole inspector industry in North America- raise its game. We complain about the quality control at car manufacturers- yet turn a blind eye to our own houses and workplaces.

David,

Just finished shooting one on writing narratives. Starting to shoot the roof videos after many delays and it has a pretty good section on inspecting roof framing.

Kenton

I really admire, appreciate and learn a lot from your videos and courses.

Just one thing I noticed when you speak. Towards the end of your comments your voice gets somewhat quite.

Thanks for all the hard work you and Ben and all involved do!!

It might sound elementary, but I would like to see a course on Mobile/Manufactured Homes.

Thanks.

That used to be addressed in seminars by Gerry Beaumont.
I was priviledged enough to attend one of his seminars a few years back, excellent instructor, now we need someone else to take his place. :slight_smile: