What courses would you like to see?

Hey folks,

What topics would you like to see covered in new courses? Between all the courses that InterNACHI offers for free, and the advanced courses at NACHI.TV, a lot is already covered. Is there anything that you guys think is missing? Anything that we should be going into in more depth? We’re planning our 2011 education schedule right now, so any feedback would be great.

Cheers,

New construction phase inspection.
Meth labs and grow operations.
Anything commercial.
More advanced, specialized training. The http://www.nachi.org/mastering-roof-inspections.htm is amazing.

Some on-site training. I missed the last ones.

Meth testing to go towards certification

Damn people want a certification to smoke meth now? INACHI has gotten way out of hand!

Testing not smoking lol
Getting to be a problem around here , We do have a lab that will do swabs , I thought it be a good idea to be certified

METH
http://www.nachi.org/forum/avatars/wwilson3-18446.gif?dateline=1235961523
CERTIFIED!

See there is a logo and everything for ya!

Here is a GOOD ONE!

"Information collection for the report".
Show how different Inspectors collect information in a video and how much time each takes as well as how long it takes to assimilate into the actual software or report.
Discuss why some methods may leave gaps in information while others may be to time consuming .:):):slight_smile:

Defect Recognition:

When is it a Defect
is it broken
does it need repaired
does it need replaced
is it a safety issue

When to call out a Contractor
When to call out an Engineer
When to call out an Architect

These are items that I see most having a hard time with. :slight_smile:

Wow it really looks like a wanted picture in the post office lolol

How about a video on pool and spa inspections!
(You should have one of the girls do that one)

How 'bout a course on inspecting historical brick? I’m interested in that and have started the research. Basically a course on types of brick and when what you see is a defect and when it’s OK.

Anyone besides me interested in that? Inspectors in Boston, Chicago, Philly, Atlanta, etc.?

That would be good also.
Not a whole lot of information on the old Grey Stones around here.
Most of it is just passed on.

What do you want to know…Everything here in Philly is brick and stucco.

That would be great Kenton, and Scott is in the perfect area for this topic. We do have a few old buildings around here, but no stucco.
The interesting part of this topic would be how they built these buildings with two and three brick wyths and framed floor joist right in the walls with fire cuts and basically how the structure went together compared to today’s standards.
Worked on a few of those that were 160 years old. :slight_smile:

We have brick and stucco here. Sometimes falling off the same house.:smiley:

I like that idea. We’ve got tons of historic brick out here in Boston.

Also…Anything Commercial would be great.

Wow, David, talk about a need for firewall separations.

I agree, anything Commercial would be a great help.
that is mostly what I know. But building and Inspecting is a different Hat. :slight_smile:

That is an oldie David.

tcblock1.jpg
**Ribs on the four sides of a terra cotta block help mortar, stucco and plaster adhere. **
But in your case, it has gone beyond it’s useful life.

Although manufactured as early as the 1890s, structural terra cotta blocks were most common in the first quarter of the 20th century. Stucco was the usual exterior cover, hence the popularity of the building material in Mission and Mediterranean Revival style homes.

The blocks can also be found in military buildings and gas stations built as late as 1940.
Hollow tile blocks have also been used in commercial style buildings, but usually not as a component of a structural wall over three stories.

Here the blocks are often used as fill between steel structural elements and for fire resistant wall construction, including interior partitions.
The only unfavorable trait of the blocks is that they are vulnerable to damage, even fragile, under certain circumstances. I’ve seen damage to individual units from mishandling or mistreatment after installation. Drilling into the blocks to anchor another material can be difficult.
It often results in a blow-out of an area of much larger diameter than the intended hole. The brittle nature of structural terra cotta should probably be a concern for people living in an area with the potential for a seismic event.
Fortunately, the compressive strength of the shells and webs of these terra cotta blocks are much stronger than what you would expect from a building material made from the same stuff as flower pots. In many buildings, the blocks have lasted 75 years or more without problems, and can be expected to last for many more decades.

Not quite the choice for stuctural integretity.

Mobile/manufactured housing: How to Inspect Mobile Homes, Double wides, Trailers
Commercial
Asbestos
Report writing, different styles.
Arches
On-site training
Facades
Defect Recognition
Historical homes
Working with Agents.
A video for newbie’s: not only showing the inspection, but also having a video, where the inspector arrives, meets the homebuyer, seller, and the real estate agents. The video could show examples of how to deal with realtors. It should show everyone who is actually there for the inspection, Home Inspectors talking with their clients, the seller and Real Estate Agents as well.
Terra Cotta and its many uses.
Fire Safety
How to deal with animals, such as dogs.
Appliance Inspection.
Secret Doors and Hidden Passageways / Trap** Doors trap in houses**
SECURITY SYSTEM INSPECTION