What do you inspect ? (Garage)

Reading another thread discussing how a fellow member accidentally damaged a garage door during testing has me wondering what should you be looking at in a garage ?

How do you pressure test?

When checking electric do you put it in the electrical section or do you have a special garage section in your report ?

Most door closers seem to be plugged in rather than hard wired, so do you consider that an issue ?

How bad do slabs need to be cracked before they also become an issue.

If the garage is a separate structure do you feel a gutter is always needed ?

Do you test remotes ?

If a garage is attached, what extra issues are there to find ?

If there are no windows does the garage need ventilation ?

How do you pressure test? 98 % here in florida have sensor beams. But have came across them and After making sure the door is in good condition i will use my hand to cause pressure. These can be adjusted at anytime on the unit. Sensors are safer.

When checking electric do you put it in the electrical section or do you have a special garage section in your report ? Garage Section in report

Most door closers seem to be plugged in rather than hard wired, so do you consider that an issue ? 99.9 % are plugged in. Saw 1 hard wired in 1,000 homes here.
How bad do slabs need to be cracked before they also become an issue.
All depends if it was cut for cracks.
If the garage is a separate structure do you feel a gutter is always needed ?
Gutters are extra never required, unless there is poor slope of water drain off and it needs directed in another direction.
Do you test remotes ? If they are there.

If a garage is attached, what extra issues are there to find ? Fire safety issues.

If there are no windows does the garage need ventilation ? Do not recommend it.

**I will need to remember this question as most garages i do have a window.

Kenton did a nice job on his garage inspection video.

Watch Kentons Episcode #72
He did a great job.

I will try to answer your questions best I can Bob, anyways.

Hope that helps Bob for whatever your after. :slight_smile:

Forgot to mention an important point on what I do.

Before energizing the wall door activation, I always release the closer from the door and open or close it to see how it functions in the tracks.

If I see that there might be the slightest possibility that something could go wrong with the automatic closer due to the function of the door, I do not test the operator.
I recommend that it be checked by an overhead door installer and adjusted properly.

:slight_smile:

If no sensors are present, I use my hand held waist high to check for auto reverse. Using a block of wood is only asking for trouble, like buying a new door! Virtually all openers are plugged, but I will call out the use of an extension cord. A window is not required. Biggest concern for attached garage is the firewall and entry door (fire rated). Detached garage roof is inspected the same as the house, including gutters. Also look for safety cables in the door springs. :slight_smile:

Attached garage- Does the door into the home have a door closer or spring hinges to close the door???
Is the door fire rated???

Up here in Canada attached garages needs to be gas proof and not fireproof so I check for that.

Also, one receptacle per car space is required up here for plug-in’s. They are not required to be GFCI’s.

I also verify slope of floor so that water from melting snow…will drain appropriately.

Self-closure and weatherstipping for door to inside of house is present and in good condition (gas proofing).

Testing the garage door opener, Kenton covered that pretty well…

I am sure Kenton did a great job but outside of watching the video it is nice to discuss real world application and have discussion on exactly how we inspect.

All I am looking for is how and what we inspect outside of the NACHI educational articles and videos.

Thanks for the reply’s so far as this ties in with my other post…
http://www.nachi.org/forum/f2/do-you-inspect-bathroom-44157/

We all have our own methods and it is good to see them here in print.

all of the above . Also check for safety cables installed on springs

That"s a good one.

I find a lot of missing ones

That is a good one Wayne and easily missed or forgotten.

Most older homes don’t have them either.
I had a spring break over my head about ten years ago in my own garage that did not have it, and I will tell you what, I aged about 5 years right there.

Thanks for the reminder. :slight_smile:

Marcel when i was working back home we had to adjust and maintain the over head doors, we had the Can type , I had a spring break it drove itself into the concrete just missing a guy on the ground. I did have to change my underwear on that one.
Another one a contractor was working on broke hitting him in the leg broke his leg in 3 places. And came off the ladder breaking his shoulder it was a mess. I am very careful around springs and doors even the little ones. These types of posts are very good for everyone old and new .

I agree Wayne and now if we could convince the rest of the Membership to participate in more threads like this one, we would all learn a few tricks here and there and help ourselves in the interim.
Thanks Bob for starting this one.

Maybe some will get the hint. :):smiley:

Yes thank you Bob for bringing me back to the important post. Kinda got tangled in some of the other not so Home inspection posts . Keep up the good work!

He’s helpful just like the Chicagoan he voted for!!!:p:p

You must mean Jesse White the secretary of state.

I knew him personally and he is the only politician I ever met that I"d vote for if running for any office.

Too bad he is getting old as he really does care about people and shows it with how he opened up all the express locations.

We used to need a camp permit to renew a drivers license before he took over.

(sorry off subject)

Do closets need to be vented since they do not have windows…what’s the point other than when you may have garages that are insulated yet are not conditioned…that presents a problem in regards to energy efficiency however not a venting issue since no room is air tight.

Some times inspectors like to create potential problems just to make their clients feel they earned their fee.

Be careful inspecting garage doors and operators, this could happen to you.
Up my street, had to stop and take a picture.

Wonder what happened.? ha. ha.

A little fuzzy, but get the picture.

garage door.jpg:slight_smile: