What do you think of this?

Originally Posted By: jmyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Here is a picture of a new construction home. I believe the only way to properly inspect the roof is to actually crawl up there and do a walk on inspection.

I have to admit that I don't like doing it, I am probably the biggest chicken on the earth. On the other hand, I would not find things like this without actually going up there and looking first hand.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/0Image010.jpg

My question is, do you think you can perform just as good of a roof inspection without actually walking the roof structure?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Joe,

I agree. I haven't been in this business too long and I realized early on that the only way to know what's really going on up there is go up. Most of the time you can't get a good enough angle from the ground to see with binoculars. I make every attempt to go on the roof. Or at least to edge.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dbush

Joe,

No way can you get as good an inspection from the ladder or from binoculars. There are just too many things that are found from the top. Like it or not, we have to walk roofs and crawl through crawl spaces.

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Geeze, Joe. That’s just a simple ladder at the eaves to find that.

How about:

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/chimneytop1.jpg

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/chimneytop2.jpg

Of course, anybody that misses the mortar joints in number one from the ground probably needs to get better glasses and better binoculars.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Erby,

I like to push the chimney on an angle and take a picture of it. Nick was always amazed that I took those kinds of pictures by myself but it can be done, it just takes a little practice. I always thought it was funny that he would add them at the end of the report and just comment something like, "need we really say anything more"! He is a really funny person, take my word for it. I had more fun performing inspections with him that with any job that I ever held in my life! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

I also learned to add something on the ground, such as a car, to give the picture depth just so the client knows that I was actually on the top of the roof and did not take the pictures from the eave with a ladder. I have to give the credit for that little trick to Nick.

Not too many people think about taking better pictures they are too concerned with the inspection. Sometimes you should just stop and take a look at the pictures you took, you would be amazed at how much you can improve them if you just stop and think, "how could I have made this a better picture?".

Is what got me on this kick was the number of recent posts inquiring about pictures and what camera's inspectors are using.

Many inspectors I am sure could use some help taking better picture so they can convey their message better. Maybe some of us can help them along the way.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: ltrower

Joe,

Cleaning up the dark background would help also. I like the background idea too. (Next thing guys he will want us to wet down the drive and sidewalk like the Pro Magazine photographers do. No offense Joe just kidding but it is a good idea when ever you can.)![](upload://wOTesWGe0OV3oSE5C64gZldUU9I.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: jschmidt

I’m guessing that this would be more of an issue for you fellows where the snow is . Ive only been in a couple of situations where my good quality feild glasses werent enough . Nearly all the roofs we run into around here are composite or composite over wood shingle . I was wondering about what that one inspector said about walking the roof to impress realtors . Has that been anyone else’s expirience ?

James Schmidt

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Fortunately down here, almost all of the homes are one story slab on grade. Makes getting to and on the roof easy. Realtors almost expect the inspector to walk the roof. I just don’t walk on tile roofs. We do have some guys around here that actually charge extra to inspect the roof. I don’t get that one. icon_rolleyes.gif

The guy that inspected the house I sold in VA last year looked at the second story part of the roof without binocs, and put a ladder to the eaves at the roof above the garage (the one story part). Roof was less than one year old. He put in his report that it had a "high probability of replacement within the next five years". Gee, glad I paid extra mney for those five tab forty year shingles. He was a member of that other organization though.

Blaine

Originally Posted By: rking

Joe,

So the home owner to facilitate the abundance of birds around with a perennial birdbath ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) , nice people .
On a more serious note, I walk the roof as long it is not too steep, typically 6 in 12 or under unless I have a few good hand holds to help me up and down. I got used to roofs as a framer.

James, one of the questions I get from realtors that I am meeting for the first time is "Do you walk roofs and do you crawl through attics and crawlspaces?"
And I answer yes I do. With the exception of steep roofs and attic spaces that have electrical wires visible along the top of ceiling joists. As a tradesman I would not hesitate going into these attics, but as an inspector I am not going to jeopardize safety or the possible fire hazard of stepping on and shorting out wires. That is how I was trained and I am sticking to it!
Crawlspaces are a must, not too many are done properly and there can be a lot of problems caused by moisture rodents etc.

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

I suppose we can “refuse” to do anything we want , but there will always be someone who will do what we wont and get the business , if we take that attitude . I’ll stay off if I can . Thats the way I’ve been trained .

I have heard ( somewhere) that some one should be specially trained to walk on tile or slate roofs (i’d love to see a slate roof - sounds like a great idea) Any one heard that before or know where one could get such training ? We have quite a few tile roofs around here .

James Schmidt

Originally Posted By: jpope

I got my training by working for a roofing company while I was in high school icon_biggrin.gif

If you're much more than 200 lbs, if you have two left feet, if you wear combat boots or if you're afraid of heights, stay off tile roofs. All others, feel free.

Stay out of the valley of the tile, walk flat footed and cover two "high points" with one foot. Your feet should ALWAYS be horizontal and NEVER walk backwards on a roof. Simple ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I’m 6’1 and 245 lbs, wear boots and can’t dance. I had to work on my parents SNAP tile roof CRACK last year POP just to clean BANG it and replace some broken tiles CRUSH and actually didn’t break a tile. eusa_pray.gif Guess I was just lucky!!!

Blaine

Erby,

Good point, cleaning up the background make for a better looking picture. I really don't find myself doing it much because the Olympus takes pretty good pictures to begin with. What I have found is that on really bright days it fools the camera into thinking there is enough light, and underexposes the pictures, especially if you are pointing toward the light when snapping the picture. In order to compensate for that I just use the manual flash which pretty much takes care of that problem. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Good thought, keep em coming!

Joe Myers

thanks for the tip , Jeffrey. I’m not afraid anymore . Cant wait to try it .

james

My only question on altering the photos, even to increase or decrease light, is would they stand up in a lawsuit? I can hear the a**hole, (oops I mean attorney), saying now, Mr. Bush, is this an exact copy of the photo that you took on Monday, …

Answer: No sir, I altered it to increase the light, etc.

A**hole, Do you have the original.

Answer: Nope

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: ltrower

Dave,

This would be your answer. I have both. Better still put them in your report like this.

Lee Trower![](upload://asyq1gj8oVt6nfKE58nicj9EFCb.jpeg)

Lee, I do put my pictures in the report. My point was, how can I prove that the picture I put in the report was not altered. This topic came up yesterday with another HI in town here that refuses to use digital photos for that very reason. I was basically stating his point of view, except for the a**hole thing, that was mine.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

I really don’t need to alter the photo’s in the report, I just learned to take better pictures. When you consider the time it takes to touch up those photographs, it is much easier to learn to take better pictures.

Before you know it, you are spending as much time touching up the photographs as you are actually inspecting. Don't waste too much time, learn to take better photo's. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Joe, that’s the nice thing about the Olympus camera that I have. I have never had to touch up a photo.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY