What is this?

I saw this installed on a water heater. First thought is it was a curculating pump. Something does not look normal. any ideas?

Yes it is a circulating pump.

I have seen people use Hot water heaters as boilers and someone told me a couple weeks ago that they seen one that had a coil in it with fittings for BB hot water. I have never seen one though.

appears to be a recirculation pump. But remember there are certain ways these are to be installed…You can’t just put them in any old way…look a tthe make and then research it if possible. The wiring sure as heaven doesn’t look normal.

HW circulating pump. No insulating unions and very clean joints, surprize, surprize.