What "items" or "reasons" to "Flag"

Hey guys,
I’m still pretty new at this and have a question:

What are the “things” or “conditions”, etc. That you guys “flag” on the inspection report?

Would you guys “flag” rust on top of a gas water heater below the “draft”?

Would you “flag” cracks & missing concrete on a retaining wall?

Would you “flag” chipping, peeling paint on the exterior side of the windows?

Or, would you just “comment” (not flag) on the above items & recommend a qualified contractor inspect & advise?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Define “flag” and you may receive more coherent responses.

Hi Charles, it sounds like toure talking about about the level of severity for defects. If so, that’s difficult to answer because it depends on the defect.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what “flagging” an inspection item is or perhaps “flagging” is an “location” or “software” term.

I live in Ohio and Inspectors/Realtors view items that are "flagged " as more serious and or urgent than items not “flagged”. And many inspectors will use “red font” for “flagged” items to differentiate them.

In addition, the software I use= “HomeGauge” have “flagged” as an option. And when you “check” flagged in the program, these “flagged” items automatically are given more attention in the report.

So, being asked to define “flag”, have me confused. ???

Hey Charles,

That’s exactly what I’m referring to. “Level of severity” .

Thanks for response Charles!

I cant speak to HG because I haven’t used it. I know some report software has a flag option that is used as a “reminder” system. Say I dont know how to describe a defect so I flag it until I can get home to research it.

As for severity levels, different software sets different names for the severity levels so it is not standardized. I think in terms of
Minor: some service issue or some low cost low impact defect
Major: something important, expensive or something that will cause significant trouble or damage etc
Safety: something that could hurt someone or cause severe damage to life, limb or property, think fire or shock hazard, health hazards, environmental hazards etc…

1 Like

Ok gotcha!!

You’ve cleared up SOO much for me!!! My vision just got clearer!!!

Thanks a MILLION Charles!!! btw, I LOVE your name!! Lol

I’m happy that helped!

Feel free to reach out if I can assist further.

I was about about to ask the same question. As I go through the courses, I find, for example, deck infills should be 4 inches or less; I measure our deck, and find that ours are 5 inches. But no where in the course does it say what to do/say/report if infill exceeds 4 inches. Its a safety issue, so rather high on the priority list for someone with small children. So can someone give me an example of how that should be reports/noted? Thanks in advance!

For example:
The distance between the spindles on the deck exceed the industry standard of 4", are loose and pose a safety hazard. I recommend a qualified carpenter make repairs, as needed, to make the integrity of the railing safe. YMMV

Thank you for the prompt reply.
Another question then, as I go through the course and gain knowledge, is it correct to view this occupation as more of a consultant vs a “patrol”? Mainly in relation to liability issues per say. I have every intention of doing a thorough job but have been advised by realtors that inspectors cant “blow their deal.” Ultimate loyalty would be to the safety of the client/buyer of course, but Im trying to comprehend what seems to be a grey area. Agree or disagree? Thanks in advance!

Hi Amy,

Be cautious of assuming what is a high priority for your clients. Each client will have their own risk tolerance threshold.

All you can do is call out what you see based on your training and experience. Mr. Kage has provided a pretty good example.

Amy… this isn’t what the realtor meant, but MY reply to them would be… “Yes! You are absolutely correct! I cannot “kill a deal”, only the home itself can do that. I simply report on the conditions observed on the day of the inspection. What the Seller, the Buyer, and their Agents do with that information is entirely up to them.”

I think you are referring to the Summary box that’s at the bottom of every comment window in HG. If box is checked that comment goes into the Summary.

Also you can have items Automatically go into the Summary (“flagged”). For instance everything that is checked Repair/Replace automatically goes into the Summary. If you do not want a specific Repair/Replace comment to go into the Summary just Uncheck the Box I was referring to.

The “Flagged” box in the Styles and Materials window is for you to Bookmark so you come back to that item and edit, or add a photo.

Consultant…forget about “blowing their deal”. Your loyalty rests with your client.

Soft selling the defect is the same as being disloyal to the client, IMO.

Thank you for your opinions. It does help to hear from others in the occupation.

Ok great!

It helped more than you know!!!

I definitely will reach out if need be.

Thanks sooo much!!!