What's wrong - if anything - with these shingles

I’ve not seen this particular issue before. Most of the shingles on this home are pitted, however, I saw neither asphalt (usually jet black,) nor fiberglass readily visible anywhere. The realtor claims these are impact resistant shingles.
Aside from a few shingles with apparent hail damage, I’m not sure what to say about these. They are not smooth, and appear to be pitted.

(The buyers realtor says the sellers claim to have had the insurance company come out to inspect for hail after a storm last summer, and that the adjuster said, no damage, no need to replace, and that these are impact resistant shingles).

Any help would be much appreciated.

You just said it, Joe… and maybe add; “recommend a qualified roofing contractor assess the damage and quote pricing, if any, to remedy if needed. The buyers realtor says the sellers claim to have had the insurance company come out to inspect for hail after a storm last summer, and that the adjuster said, no damage, no need to replace, and that these are impact resistant shingles.”

Pass it off the a qualified roofing contractor and be done with it. :smile:

3 Likes

Pitting due to blistering.

4 Likes

Did you go into the attic? was there proper ventilation?

Attic had blown insulation. I inspected only from the hatch. The soffits had vent covers - it’s possible the blown in insulation covered the vents. It did appear that the roof could stand to have more venting near the ridge.

How old is the roof? Could be pre-mature failure due to manufacture defect and possibly covered under warranty.

Morning, Joe. Hope this posts finds you well.

Let me say this about that. “The realtor claims these are impact resistant shingles.” The realtor says. … Lol. Stop it. I just woke up and almost fell off my chair laughing.

Let me say this about that. Asphalt shingles, as well as other shingles, have Ratings or classifications. Class #1. Class #2, etc.
Class 1 - Rated Asphalt Shingle passed a test with a 1 1/4" steel ball dropped from 12’ feet and has to pass a 15’ foot drop of a 1 1/2" steel ball with repeatedly in the field and edge (2) times with no damage to the “fiberglass mat.”
Class 4 - Rated. Shingles not guaranteed against hail damage ‘in writing’ by most manufacturers but do provide ‘better resistance’ to hail impact.
UL 2218 is the roofing industry standard for testing shingles against hail impact.

Let me say this about that.
Observation: Mineral/granular loss due to mechanical damage. Suspect hail damage.
Recommend: 1: A licensed roofing contractor access and perform a roof tune up in the spring, weather permitting.
2: The realtor to provide written verification he will stand by during the transaction and you will stop laughing.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for helping with identifying and recommending write up text.

I have one meaty followup: I observed no ievidence of leaking, present or past - including observations of roof underpayment, and IR scans of the interior ceilings directly below roof surfaces. What can be said about whether or not this roof will need to be replaced, say within 1 year, or ASAP for that matter?

Do 't try to predict remaining lifespan. Document the deficiencies.

3 Likes

Thanks Chuck. I typically don’t attempt to guess age or life expectancy. I do like to let people know when the roof is clearly approaching or at the end of it’s life expectancy - fiberglass showing on majority of shingles etc. I don’t like to say “I can’t tell you if the roof needs replacing or not.” I realize I may not be able to in this case, but was hoping against hope that folks who’d seen more of this issue might have more insight. Thanks

Yep that’s it. Not functional damage. An insurance claim based on this condition alone will be denied.

Blister on the left, Hail on the right

3 Likes

Hi Joe, if you have not already, an excellent InterNachi course to take is the “Wind and Hail Property Damage” course. The course does a nice review on shingle quality issues. I know it helped me with identifying shingle issues. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This the one here?

No, this one, but I think I will take that one also!
https://www.nachi.org/wind-hail-property-damage-inspection-online-course.htm

I can’t remember which ones I took, I’ll have to look it up.
Both courses are good, I am sure.

I am taking the Roof Replacement course now! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If you really want to understand asphalt shingles I suggest you take the InterNACHI Asphalt Shingle video course. I developed this course after 2 ½ years of research and writing. It covers wind and hail damage and everything else, except for the Cason Dunlop program.

3 Likes

I will Kenton, thanks!

Certainteed has credentialed courses that are free to take and they issue Mfr certifications which comes in handy when you tell a builder or contractor that they installed the roof improperly. Excellent quality materials too. https://www.certainteed.com/pro-center/roofing-education-credentials/

Not promoting it instead of, but in addition to the InterNACHI Courses.

2 Likes

Thanks Chuck. I’ll do that one also. :slightly_smiling_face: