Hail damage

Originally Posted By: cmardian
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Some help please. Does anyone have some photos of hail damage to asphalt shingles that they would share with me? I would really like to have some for a newsletter that I put out monthly. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Although the shingles weren’t damaged per-say, the life on them was reduced significantly. Notice the 1/4" of granuals covering the bottom of the gutter. This was caused by a recent hailstorm, or so I am assuming after a discussion with the current homeowner.

![](upload://cGluOBghUOvcREtr7dLhLFx9BKx.jpeg)

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: cmardian

This is definetly hail damage. If you have any other photos showing impact marks, that would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

I see granular material in gutters routinely here in Florida panhandle and we have hail about once a decade. I wonder how old the roof in the photo is. If there are no gouges, etc. I would be more inclined to believe this is from normal erosion. I have been accused of being a sceptic when I hear sellers stories about how things happened or my favorite is “It was like that when we bought the house.” therefore it must still be OK.

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Guys, coming from a position with State Farm that required me to be a hail expert, I urge you to be very careful about calling that hail damage to any client. If you see torn shingles, maybe, but be very careful.

The reason: when you say it is hail damage, the current homeowner is probably going to call their insurance company who will tell them that the granular loss is NOT hail damage. They will not pay it. The client is then going to think you do not know what you are talking about.

The reason that is not considered "damage"? Because storms are expected, many severe, throughout the life of a roof. Severe storms will have effects like that. According to research by Haug Engineering, that loss does not severely shorten the life span of the roof. Haug testing has revealed that it takes in eccess of 1/2-3/4" hail to damage most shingles to the point of affecting the water resistance.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

That’s why you use the phrase “possibly caused by hail” in your report instead of “caused by hail”.

and they cannot use this to call an insurance agent as they are the buyers and it's pre-existing condition, and the sellers can't use my report because it's not theirs to use.

the home is 5 years old. Come up with a better explanation, and I'll use it. Like I said, the shingles weren't damaged per-say. We don't get much for baseball size hail...normally it's pea sized, but enough to knock off some granuals.

--

It is obvious a storm knocked granules off. My point is that engineers have proven that is normal. And while sellers can’t “use” your report, the client can show them. And they do “use” the suggestions when client goes to them about the report. If the seller is told they have “damage” they may well report it. In that sense they do use it. Haag has some great books on the subject. I took there training, it was great and informative.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

Originally Posted By: jpeck

[ Image: hail damage? ]

Jerry Peck

South Florida

Jerry, the pic is fuzzy. The crack, probably not, as cracks are not usally caused by hail. Hail causes more of a spider web effect much like on laminated windshields. The dent does not appear to be either. It looks like there are granules still in the center. It appears that might be a nail pop.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Daniel,

The photo is fuzzy because I enlarged that shingle in Kevin's photo.

Granule loss is mostly due to hing winds and other things abrading across the surface, like rain, branches, leaves, pine needles, any debris blowing or rubbing across the roof surface.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

I know, but even in his pic it is fuzzy. Based on what I see there, I would not say hail.

Granular loss is considered normal wear. One way a Haag engineer described it best was that it is like a tire on your car. Layers of rubber wear down with each unexpected idiot that makes you lock your brakes. It might even make a new tire uneven for a bit, but it is normal wear.

a good quote used for eductional purposes from blueprintforsafety.org:

Quote:
Hailstones impacting a roof result in primarily two types of damage ? aesthetic and functional. Aesthetic damage, which affects only the appearance of the roof, is by far the most common type of damage from hailstorms. For asphalt shingles, this is usually in the form of negligible loss of granules, which will have minimal impact on the life of the shingle. For other roof coverings, the aesthetic damage may include discolorations and/or dimples. While neither of these scenarios is very attractive to building owners, the result is minimal to no impact on the life expectancy of the roof covering.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

Doubtful it was anything but hail…no trees anywhere near the home looked for dings/dents but didn’t see much out of the ordinary…you would need a magnifying glass to pick out what Jerry zoomed in on…

![](upload://kPvXVtcJZbTKp9KKYgENk9Y0yal.jpeg)

Sorry this got off topic a bit as I know you are just looking for damage photo's for a newsletter!

--

In other words, it is cosmetic.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

I am not saying hail did not cause the granular loss. But it does not affect the roof except aesthetically. The crack and dent are PROBABLY not hail.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

http://www.cedarplus.com/technology/perform/hail.html

Not damage, but effect pictures. You notice that even the manufacturer agrees the photos show resistance not damage. the marks fade.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

dfrend wrote:
In other words, it is cosmetic.

Granuals are not there for cosmetic reasons only...they protect a roof from wear. Asphalt gets disolved away over time and granuals protect that from happening...so the more loss of granuals the more "effective" life is taken away from the shingle.

--

You are right, but as in the quote from the textbook, minimal loss such as that caused by any storm has
Quote:
minimal to no impact on the life expectancy of the roof covering.

It is normal wear. That is my point. Granular loss is NOT damage. Roofs wear, fast or slow. There is no way to prevent it. And that granular loss will have no more impact on the life of the roof than any other storm.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/Haildamage.jpg ]

Unbelieveable ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Great pic Gerry. Now, the pic shows another way to notce true hail damage. Lets say you see a roof with a bunch of marks looking like impacts. If you see it on all slopes, it is either NOT hail or from more than one storm. Hail does not drop straight down. It comes in traveling fast at the same direction as the storm. See how the siding pic shows the one side has heavy damage and the front has little?

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

I will look for my old stuff for pics.

Also, look at soft metals such as gutters, ridge vents, turtle vents, vent shoes, etc for damage.

Also as to the first pic, the dent and crack are damage and you should report them, just not as possible hail.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store